Chapter 5 - Arhea

I was in agony. Cozied under the quilt, my mind was racing. I turned, and then turned again. I kept worrying the hangnail on my thumb. The shrill ring of telephone made me jump, even though it wasn't supposed to. I leaped out of bed and ran downstairs to the hall. Wolfred had beaten me to the phone. His ears were perked; calls were rare. Matron Cassandra hearing the ring had come out of her room and was standing at the arc of the hall. Mummy had reached the bottom of the stairs by the time I lifted the earpiece. It was Granny.

"Arhea! Arhea, how are you? Is everything fine?" she sounded awfully panicked.

"Yes, Granny, all's well, what happened? It's like 2:30 am."

She took a deep breath. "I just had a very bad dream... you were there... I don't know. I was very scared."

"Don't worry, Granny, it's alright."

"Do you want me to come by?"

"No, no, it's really late. I better get back to bed. I am sorry for disturbing you. Hope everyone is well."

"You didn't disturb me, Granny. Everyone's fine. Don't you worry, go to sleep. Bad dreams come all time. Take care."

"Take care, Arhea. God protect."

Mummy asked me who it was. I told her.

"Poor dear. And what with her son too, I really worry about her."

"Oh, you heard about her son?" I enquired.

Mummy walked into the kitchen, I followed. "Yes, at the wedding."

She didn't elaborate and I thought to ask. But with the events that had happened I decided not to. I just nodded my head. She poured two glasses of water and passed me one. "So, what did you do while we were gone?"

"I was sleeping mostly. I went to Granny's at seven."

"Oh, how was she? How was her reaction?"

"She cried a lot. It was so bittersweet for her. So much happiness yet so sorrowful."

"Yes, what a terrible thing for a mother to have to bear." She gulped her glass.

"Go back to bed. It's really late." She called sleepily as she headed back upstairs.

I watched her go. Then I glanced at Wolfred and motioned with my head. He followed me into my room. I shut the door and slumped into bed. Wolfred just stood facing the door, expecting it to open. When I called him to sleep, he just made a tinny noise. He continued standing guard, making me feel protected from all the evils of the world.