SCP-1386 - Sentient Ice Cream Van

Item #: SCP-1386

Item #: SCP-1386

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-1386 is currently located in an evacuated four-block neighborhood surrounded by a 10-meter-high reinforced concrete containment wall in ████████, ██, 8 kilometers from the nearest inhabited neighborhood. Due to the incident with Doctor F██████ on 4/17/12, it is to be kept under constant surveillance, and must only be approached by D-class personnel.

Any individual that comes within a 3-meter radius of SCP-1386 must give the appearance of being happy, such as by smiling or laughing. If it is approached by someone who does not appear happy, the subject will feign hostility, emitting a low growl from its interior, and refuse to interact positively until the individual's demeanor changes. It is as of yet unknown if SCP-1386 will act out on its aggression if exacerbated.

When making contact with SCP-1386, it is strongly advised to have at least twenty dollars of American currency in hand and in plain view of it. If SCP-1386 does not sense currency on the individual approaching it, a siren that has been known to cause bleeding of the inner ear will blare from its undercarriage for the next 24 hours. All attempts to silence the siren have failed, and once it has begun, the subject will refuse to move from its current location until the 24-hour period has passed. Any attempts of interaction with SCP-1386 during this period have been known to momentarily increase the intensity of the siren.

Description: SCP-1386 is a white "Good Humor"-brand ice cream truck, in poor condition and lacking any images or descriptions of the products it sells. The van appears to be sapient, as it drives without a person behind the wheel; after the investigation of 3/15/12, it has been concluded that none of the doors or windows on the vehicle open through conventional means. The van plays instrumental melodies of "Pop Goes the Weasel" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" 24 hours a day, alternating between the two every four hours. On occasion, it has been known to play a version of "Greensleeves," but will immediately switch to another song when in the presence of customers.

SCP-1386 has a thin slot in the middle of its driver-side door, which only becomes visible when it dispenses the various ice cream products it sells. Along with the ice cream, the van slides out a small slip of receipt paper with a price written on it in what has been described as "very sloppy, but legible" handwriting. The van receives payment through the same slot it delivers ice cream from, and will drive away as soon as it is paid. The prices and flavors of the ice cream products it sells fluctuate daily, but it never runs out of its stock of items. Notable tests of the van are as follows.

3/30/12 - Doctors R██████ and D████ each requested one cookies and creme smoothie, and they were dispensed as asked. However, one smoothie was marked with a handwritten M and the other a handwritten G. The receipt was for $4.89, and was paid without incident.

4/1/12 - Doctor D████ requested one Neapolitan ice cream sandwich. After several seconds, the van slid out what appeared to be a meat and cheese sandwich with tomato. The sandwich was made out of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream, respectively. The receipt given read "april fool's!" and the van drove away before Doctor D████ could inquire about payment.