CHAPTER 12

After crying for about two minutes I was a mess. I dabbed my eyes and went to the front seat. I was about to start the car when my eye caught something on my hood. A card. It must belong to that guy who didn't know how to mind his business. I wanted to drive away and let the breeze get rid of it for me but my curiosity won.

"Is the car not starting?" Marina asked.

"No everything is fine" I assured her. I looked at the business card, he was a therapist. Dr. David Smith. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Was this how he got his clients? Scout public places for potential clients. I shoved the card into my pocket, got into my car and drove away.

I didn't need to make a stop at my house, I drove straight to my mom's. I didn't even call ahead, I wanted to see her but I also wished she'd be out. The traffic kept us on the way  longer than planned so we had to stop at restaurants to get something to eat and use the convenience.

"Grandma will be so suprised" Mari said happily, her mood picked up after a while. My perfect happy baby. She was happily munching on her sandwich. She was even doing a small dance with her hand and head. She was genuinely happy.

"I know, and you know grandma likes surprises" I responded and she nodded vigorously. I had to hold her head in place to stop which caused both of us to burst out laughing.

"I'm done now mommy" she said shoving the last bit of sandwich into her mouth as we recovered from our laugh. I wiped her mouth and her drink to go.

When we got to my mom's house, Mariana raced out of the car and ran inside. My mom must have seen us on the security camera because she came outside with arms wide open. Mariana raced into the awaiting hug.

"My grandbaby" my mom said spinning Mari around causing the child to giggle.
"Are you suprised grandma?" Mari asked happily as my mom brought her back down. "I am. What's the occasion? Did you miss grandma?" My mom said playfully. the look she gave me when she asked for the occasion I knew she knew something was wrong.

"Let's go inside" I interrupted. Mariana held onto my mom's hand leading her inside.

Once we got inside I sat silently on the couch watching my mom and daughter talking about anything and everything. Mariana was on my mom's leg listening intently to the recent story Ma had to tell. It was always a story about Nigeria. If I didn't know they were lies I would have been blown away. My mom definitely didn't lead a vigilante.

After a long conversation about life as a vigilante leader, my mom gave Mariana her special jollof. After eating, she fell asleep. I wanted to take her to a room but Ma opted to do it.

I dished my second plate of special jollof. I was eating happily till someone cleared her throat.

"Start talking"