Chapter 9

We followed uncomplainingly. There was nothing we could do. I'd never really seen Mileva do anything dangerous, though, and if Anna and I tried hard enough, we could actually pin her down.

I even considered that possibility. We were two, she was one. We weren't handcuffed like last time. She wasn't looking back, and if she were anyone else I'm sure we would've succeeded. But Mileva was not human, and no one knew what she was capable of. For all it's worth, she might be more powerful than both of us together.

And, she might lead me to more information about my parents and the wall. But why should she do that?

At least it's better than no clue at all. At least these people know more than I do.

We were walking on the pavement, passing shops as we moved, Anna and I behind Mileva. At first I thought we were going to Frost n' Scoops, but we passed that place in almost no time. Anna gave me a puzzled look, and I knew we were thinking the same thing. I shrugged.

What if she was taking us some place dangerous?

Heather is already there. What did that mean? Wasn't she at home, resting? My eyes widened. Did she do something to her?

For her sake, and for my parents, I decided to comply for the time being.

We crossed the street and took a left. Mileva walked surprisingly fast, and even as a good runner I had to sprint to keep up.

There were not many people out today. A car whizzed past. A bird chirped. Everything seemed normal, except for the fact that we were walking behind a gorgeous woman who probably wanted us dead, and of course, the little matter of possibly strolling to our doom.

We took another left. Where was this woman going?

We might have reached in about ten minutes, to a seemingly abandoned store house in the midst of other office buildings. The black, worn out paint gave an unwelcoming feel. The rusty iron gate, together with its steel bars, made it seem like we were going to a prison. Mileva pushed it and it swerved inwards. The garden on either side of the rough pathway that led to the porch clearly hadn't been tended to in a long time. The yellow grass swayed gently with the wind.

Without turning back, she walked up the wooden steps to the porch and entered a passcode on the keypad, which was next to the oak door. We stood behind her, but she made sure we couldn't see it.

There was a beep and the door swung open. It seemed kind of ironic that a rusty old building had a keypad and an automatic door.

Mileva turned around to face both of us. "Mind your tongues a little. You're meeting the colonel. Don't say anything stupid. Enough of your pathetic race has been crushed under his feet already. You don't want to add to that count, do you?"

I didn't understand most of what she said, but the message was clear. At least we're not beasts like you, I thought, through gritted teeth. Anger bubbled inside of me. I clenched my fists. "Say that again—"

Anna gripped my arm. "Don't."

Mileva turned around without a response and walked inside. We followed grudgingly. As soon as we entered, the door shut behind us.

The dark was unsettling; I couldn't see Mileva or Anna. Then, a loud, cold, male voice said, "Who have you brought, Mileva?"

The colonel. That voice sounded...familiar, but I couldn't recall whose it was.

"Amy, and the other one," the reply came from somewhere to my right.

Then I heard a whimper. Was that Heather?