How Can I Keep Dancing? ~~~ Chapter 3 ~~~

Sorry for the late upload. Enjoy!

Don't foget to comment and vote!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~CHAPTER THREE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Getting my mother to allow me to go on a date proved to be simpler than I’d thought. I told her that he was visiting for the summer from Detroit with his family, and that he was extremely wealthy and possibly planning on moving here. Mother couldn’t have been more keen for me to leave the house when I lied about his fortune, yet she claimed to me that it would be good of me to show him around town, despite the fact that I was sure he had lived here since he was a child. But never mind that it was all a fib, I managed to escape from the house, hassle-free.

Deciding what to wear was the tough part. After dinner, I rip through my closet finding dresses that I decide for a moment looks suitable then realize that I don’t have suitable shoes to go with it, the color makes me look washed out, or the cut of the dress is not quite as flattering. Red floral? Too vibrant. Silk sky blue? Too simple. Ivory crepe? Makes me appear larger than I am…

Why am I stressing over what to wear? I don’t need to impress anyone; it’s only Elijah for heavens sake! I mean I didn’t even want to go on a date with him, it was only a stupid deal so then I could get my damn shoes back. I sigh in frustration, tossing the dress I am holding onto the growing pile of clothes.

I laugh at myself, deciding I am stupid for worrying so much. I glance over at the clock on the wall, realizing I only have twenty minutes until he picks me up. Hurriedly, I finally decide on a soft yellow, sleeveless summer dress, with tiny white floral designs and a light throw on cardigan. Letting my hair fall down in spirals past my shoulders, I add soft color to my cheeks and apply a light coat of mascara. Simple but natural. Just as I hear the doorbell ring, I quickly yell out the door to James not to worry about it. I swiftly apply a light sheen of my favorite lipstick, grab my purse and run down the stairs, looking at the clock as I went. Five minutes late, not too bad, I must say.

I arrive at the door in a fluster and rip it open. There stood Elijah with a cheeky smile, quickly eyeing me up and down.

“If I hadn’t of known better, I would have thought you were eager to see me,” he chuckles.

“What makes you say that?” I say out of breath, crossing my arms over my chest.

“Well, it appears you have rushed you hair and then sprinted down the door to make sure I wasn’t impatient with waiting more than five minutes. In my experience, that generally means that they’re anxious to make an impression.”

I run my hands over my hair self-consciously, scowling at him, “In your experience? What are you, some kind of expert on women now?”

He smiles wickedly. “Well, maybe I am, but to be honest, I’m just good at reading people.” His face turns considerate.

I roll my eyes. “Whatever, smarty-pants. Let’s get this over with,” I turn around, leaning back into the house, “See you later tonight, mom!” I yell.

Not waiting for her to answer me back, I shut the door quickly behind me, following Elijah down the driveway, beginning to stroll down the street.

He was at least dressed simply. Plain khaki slacks with a deep blue blouse and black suspenders. If you didn’t know where he was going, you would never have guessed that he was taking someone on a date. I grimace as I think of how long it took me to decide on what to wear. He was obviously not too worried about impressing me.

“So you agree?” He asks suddenly.

I look at him in confusion, frowning. “About what?”

“You agree that you were in a hurry to see me?”