Chapter 2: Unwanted guests

When she heard the gunshot, lady Kuromiya took her own gun out of her desk drawer and got up silently.

This was bad.

The manor's security was infallible, if someone had managed to get even close enough to shooting range; it meant the system was down.

If the system was down, it meant this was a professional job.

Where in the world was Takahashi? Was good was it to pay that much for a bodyguard when he managed to take a bathroom break at the exact moment someone was breaking in?

The girl crouched behind her ebony desk so she could stay hidden but have a clear view of the door. When a figure appeared in the doorframe she nearly shot it from the stress, but fortunately, she stopped herself in time.

Takahashi slowly closed the study's door and locked it behind him.

''You better be glad you have the build of a gorilla because if I hadn't recognised you that fast you'd have a hole in the head by now! Where in the hell were you? And what the fuck is going on?!'' the girl murmured nervously while getting up from her hiding spot.

''Sorry young mistress, I came as fast as I could.'' The beast of a man said while checking his phone. ''They've got some nerve, they came in through the front door...'' he added with disdain.

''They? How many?'' the girl inquired, her mind racing to figure out a semblance of a plan.

If they had come through the front, it meant they had to pass by her father's room before making it to her. That was bad, very bad.

''Around five or six. They're pros, they didn't even have to break in, they unlocked everything from a distance. They spared the staff so far, except for one butler who fought back...''

''Tell the staff on the lower floor to lock themselves in the basement until further notice, we don't know if they've got more men waiting outside. Do we have any idea who these guys work for? Is those Russians we scammed?'' the girl asked, still on high alert, hoping not to hear another gunshot.

Takahashi was frantically texting instructions at the staff and reading the messages that were pouring in.

''No they speak Korean... Someone from the kitchen just said they have suits on...''

''Great... It couldn't be some random thugs it had to be real gangsters...'' The girl murmured sarcastically.

''Apparently, they're sat in the meeting room...? And they politely requested your presence...'' Takahashi said, clearly confused.

''The nerve on these thugs! Breaking in and acting like guests... Do we have any available back up?'' The girl said between her gritted teeth.

''It's radio silence from everyone at headquarters... This is bad young mistress...''

''Bad is an understatement... Well it's not like I have much of a choice. They're being civil so negotiations aren't out of reach. Go fetch the special sake set and a bottle from the reserve. Let's treat these guest with the care they deserve, shall we?'' the girl said with a smirk before quickly adjusting her gun under her blazer and heading towards the meeting room.

Lady Kuromiya stepped in the meeting room with a calm smile despite the feeling of her blood boiling in her veins. Nobody played her like a fool without suffering the consequences, but she had to keep up the act for now, until she could get the upper hand.

She quickly scanned the men sitting at the table, not a single familiar face, not a clue on their true identity. Besides from the weapons carelessly scattered around the table they barely looked any more intimidating than a bunch of handsome business man...

''Welcome to the Kuromiya residence. You really should have called, I'm afraid I'll fail in my hostess duties and won't be able to offer you any hors d'oeuvres on such a short notice...'' the girl said trying to keep her tone from turning sarcastic.

When the men noticed her, they stood up and bowed.

At least they had some semblance of manners in regard to her status...

''Thank you for having us. We tried to leave a message before visiting, but the man we sent to set the meeting unfortunately came back to us decapitated.'' The tallest man of the gang, who also appeared to be the leader, spoke, with a smile that could have passed as kind in other circumstances.

''Do you perhaps mean the meeting were that gentlemen tried to convince me to sell you my family's whole territory and to marry one of you kind strangers on top of it all, despite ten of my good men being burned alive by your thugs just a week prior?'' The girl asked innocently while sitting down at the end of the table.

She had to furiously grip the armrests to hide the fear washing over her as she finally realised who she was up against.

''Yes, that meeting precisely. Fortunately, now we can discuss the terms in person instead and avoid any further misunderstanding.'' the leader said as Takahashi came in with the sake set and started silently serving everyone.

''I don't know if you're fans of sake, but I was afraid that if we were to drink soju our minds wouldn't stay sharp very long and that would be bad for negotiating.'' The girl joked.

''Tsk-tsk, trying to kill us before even hearing my offer?'' the man said with an amused grin.

The girl rolled her eyes and took a sip of sake, to prove the drink wasn't poisoned.

''See? It's not only safe, but also delicious...'' she said.

The man next to the leader seemed satisfied enough with her demonstration to grab his cup, but with one look from the leader he put it back down.

''The sake is safe, but our cups aren't. The black snake motif is covered with ricin, and it wouldn't be very polite of us to die in the middle of our meeting.'' The man said, with a chuckle.

The girl's eyes widened in shock.

He might have guessed the cups were poisoned, but how could he have known the nature of the drug... The cups were a well-kept family secret, too well kept for a stranger to have access to that information.

The man's cat-like eyes, his smug smile... They seemed familiar somehow, like he wasn't a stranger after all...

''You still don't recognise me? Here, I'll give you a hint...'' the man said before pulling a handkerchief out of his pocket.

It was a dusty black with little discolored foxes.

''Kim Namjoon!?'' the girl exclaimed, a cold chill running up her back.

''Long time no see, Mirai...'' he replied with a dimpled smile.

Mirai's mind went blank, how was she supposed to process that her sweet childhood friend had become RM, the boss of Bangtan, the most fearsome mafia in all of Korea!

***