Chapter 42

Despite the events of the previous day, Sky had a slight spring in her step on her way to Mason's room. She knocked on his door with two brief bangs and waited, both anxious to talk to him and to see him again. However, that anxiety soon turned to annoyance as he let her wait outside his door for too long. With a huff, she opened the door.

And the room was empty.

It wasn't just a lack of Mason, but a lack of Mason's things too. What was going on?

Sky scanned the room, and it really was lacking any books and any paper - any sign of being lived in. Even the bed was neatly made.

She shook her head and walked back out into the corridor, looking left and right to make sure she was definitely in the right room, and she definitely was, but as she turned back around to face the room, it was as empty as ever. She was puzzled.

She closed the door and headed off to find Lisette, thinking she might have some answers she wanted.

Just like Sky had a liking for Lisette, she was also a popular girl among the maids and it wasn't long before one of the maids was able to direct her to the correct place. Lisette looked up upon hearing Sky's footsteps enter the spare bedroom she was in.

"Wouldn't have expected to see you here," Lisette said, straightening up after she'd turned off the vacuum cleaner. "What can I do for you?"

"I can't find Mason. Do you know where he is?"

Lisette's face dropped upon hearing his name, and she swallowed, clearly debating whether to say what she knew. When Sky raised her eyebrows and didn't give Lisette much of a choice in the matter, "Well, your parents, they—"

Sky swore and didn't need Lisette to continue, so she cut her off. "Of course it would be them. Thanks Lisette."

"Sky, wait—" Lisette started, but Sky had already left, thundering back down the hallway in an attempt to look for her parents.

She didn't have to look long, for she knew if they weren't in the study then they'd be in the lounge - if they hadn't already left. And they were indeed in there, talking in hushed tones which cut abruptly when they saw it wasn't just a maid who had entered their room, but their daughter - and that in a rather unhappy state.

"What did you do? Where's Mason?" she asked, stopping in front of them with her arms folded, glaring down at them from across the glass coffee table. They both sighed and looked at each other before Heather leaned forward and placed her mug onto the table.

"Mason felt like he'd over welcomed his stay, having not immediately left upon graduating the school. After talking to Lisette, they decided maybe it was time for him to leave," Heather said.

Sky opened her mouth, ready to release an angry tirade, but stopped short and closed her mouth again. She was silent for a few seconds. "What?" she asked, not at all sure she'd heard correctly. She then wasn't sure if she should ask whether her parents really weren't behind it or whether Lisette really was; luckily her parents continued on without a need for her to find an answer to that question.

"We adhered to their wishes," James answered as Heather let out a sigh at her daughter. "We're very grateful to Mason and happy he spent the time here but we're not the type of people to force someone to stay against their will."

Sky let out an audible snort then, not hesitating to cover it up with a cough at her father's words. "Right," she said when she earned herself a non-too-kind look from both of her parents. "I'm, uh... Gonna go and find Lisette."

"Going to," Heather said just when Sky was turning to leave.

"... You're going to what?" Sky asked, pausing momentarily in her movements.