Chapter 39

"Do you think we can sneak--" Sky started to say as she and Mason crossed the threshold into her home, but she couldn't even finish her sentence when a stern voice from the next room interrupted her.

"Sky, Mason, through here," the entitled female voice called through to them.

Sky sighed and Mason looked at her sympathetically when Sky looked at him with annoyance written all over her face. "I don't think we have a choice," Mason whispered. "I'll go first."

She sighed again but followed along behind Mason begrudgingly when he started to head towards where the voice was emanating from. Her resigned stature turned into something more confident as they entered the room her parents were in though, in order to not show the strong feeling of dislike she held towards having to interact with them as it would just raise unwanted questions she didn't want to answer.

Her parents were already perched on the bigger sofa, looking at the two expectantly with their harsh gazes. A couple of maids hurried past the two of them as they entered the room, holding the coats of their masters in their hands; Sky followed them with her eyes, a look of disdain on her face that they were doing whatever her parents asked of them.

But she paid attention to the situation at hand again when Mason nudged her in the side; she looked over her parents. "Hi," she said, opting to greet them first so they didn't get that satisfaction.

Her parents didn't greet them in return but her mother indicated towards the other sofa with her head. "Sit," she said.

They both did as she said, though Sky far less happy about it than Mason. Mason sat immediately when he reached the sofa, but Sky stood for a moment as she glowered down at her parents who were looking at each other and apparently having a mental conversation.

Mason quickly grabbed her arm and pulled her down into her seat before her parents once again focused their attention on the two of them before her mother spoke.

"So, first of all we'd like to congratulate you on getting Sky to get through the year at college; we had really been starting to doubt..."

Heather's words trailed off for both Sky and Mason as they both realised her parents were more congratulating Mason for his work than for Sky's hard work. When Mason felt Sky tense up beside him, he slid an arm comfortingly behind her and placed it on her lower back.

"... marriage."

"I'm sorry, what?" Sky suddenly said, interrupting her mother after catching the word.

Her mother didn't look happy at the interruption. "Your marriage to Adam Esteban."

The incredulity in Sky's voice was off the charts. "And why would I do that?"

"Were you listening to anything your mother just said?" James then said, taking up the conversation as Heather leaned back, content to let her husband take over. "Now you've proven yourself to be somewhat of a benefit to society, we've decided we can go ahead with the arrangement. Mason--"

Mason had almost had a heart attack hearing his name uttered from the man's lips, knowing full well where he was going. But much to his luck, Sky interrupted just in that moment.

"Hold on just a second. Why would I do that?" she asked, repeating her former question.

"Because we're your parents and you should listen--" Once again, Sky interrupted him with a scoff, earning herself a glare from her father.

"My parents? That is honestly hilarious. Did you know it's possible for a child to be a child without parents but not for parents to be parents without a child? Clearly you don't see me as your child or I would have felt like your child for the last few years. Not to mention making me marry someone else against my will is illegal."