Chapter 34

Sky cursed under her breath as she entered her room. Where on earth was it? She heaved a heavy sigh as she leaned against the door, hearing it click in place behind her.

She wracked her brain for anywhere else that the note from that night could be and pulled up a blank. If it wasn't at the site, where was it? She looked around her room as she tried to recall what she had been wearing that night.

A dress. There's no way the note could be in her dress. The shorts, perhaps? She moved over to them and had barely taken them into her hands when she noticed they didn't have any pockets either. She let out a sound of desperation as she dumped the shorts unceremoniously back on the chair – just as Mason opened the door behind her.

Their eyes met as she turned around, both pairs of eyes confused for different reasons. "Is everything alright?" Mason asked, his hand still resting on the door handle.

Sky took a moment to process Mason's words before she countered with a question of her own. "Why didn't you knock?"

"I knocked and waited but you didn't answer. I was just opening the door to check you were in here when you made that... Noise." Mason's head seemed to cock ever so slightly to the side as he said the last bit, leaving Sky a bit embarrassed that he'd caught her making such an uncharacteristic sound.

"Ah, that was... I almost dropped something, that's all."

Mason finally removed his hand from the door handle and folded his arms as he fell into thought, discreetly trying to look at the items around her feet. "Did you catch it? Sounds like it could easily break."

"Sounds like it could easily break? But..." Nothing dropped.

"Well, that was quite a noise you made, that's all," Mason was clearly amused which irked Sky a little bit. "Sounds like you dropping it would be the last thing you'd want."

"What did you want?"

"Ah, right," Mason said, blessedly getting distracted from the previous situation. "I was wondering if you wanted to study together."

Sky couldn't deny that the idea was actually rather appealing to her but she wanted to find that sheet first. "How about later? I have to go out and do something first."

Mason nodded. "Alright. Just knock on my door when you're ready."

"Will do," Sky said, smiling at him in return as he closed her door upon exiting her room.

Sky sighed once he'd left. Now she had to try the police station. She really didn't want to.

"Sky Simmons?"

Sky had just been at the reception desk trying to sort out her case but she immediately turned around upon hearing her name and her eyes landed on a relatively young police officer. "Yes?"

"I'm the police officer in charge of your case. I was just about to call you." The policeman said nothing for a moment as he looked over her quickly before he nodded his head so slightly that she barely caught it. "You're looking much better now which I'm glad to see. We weren't sure you'd make it when we first saw you but I'm glad we didn't worry your boyfriend unnecessarily."

"He's not—"

"Your boyfriend?" The policeman raised his eyebrows as his eyes appeared to display a twinkle of amusement. "I gathered, I just wondered why."

It wasn't often that someone could say something that stunned her into silence, but this policemen had managed to do just that. "What's that supposed to mean?"

The policeman grinned but didn't answer her question. "Are you here about your case?"

Sky hesitated, not sure whether to question him further or talk to him about the real reason about why she was there. The policeman seemed to understand and invited her into his office, letting the receptionist know that he would take it from there. He didn't say anything as they both sat down in the chairs inside the room and instead he just leaned back in his chair and looked at her expectantly; Sky had never felt quite so on the spot.