Chapter 2

Nathan

There's a knock on the driver's side window. When I see a hint of golden blonde over his shoulder, I groan internally. Jesse turns to see Nikki standing right outside, smiling like the little brat she is. Fluttering her lashes, outlining her brown, almond shaped eyes.
I've never liked her. She must be the biggest drama queen on this freaking planet. I hate the way she bosses Jesse around, and how he obeys her every command. I don't know why he puts up with it. Out of all of his million relationships he's been in, she's the worst.
Jesse opens the door and steps out to have Nikki wrap her arms around him and lean up to give him a kiss. I look away and roll my eyes as I open my door and step out.
"I missed you." Nikki pouts. Which makes me roll my eyes again. Can't believe he's actually into this girl.
"I missed you too, baby." He mumbles against her lips.
Don't know how it was possible but I managed to roll my eyes even harder.
I circle around the car and stand behind them. While they're making googly eyes at each other, I clear my throat, probably louder than I meant to.
When Jesse remembers that I exist, he turns around to face me, his hand holding her body close to his chest. "Nikki, you remember Nathan."
Sadly.
Nikki looks to me and smiles the fakest smile I've ever seen. So I give her one right back. She notices and sneers at me, but puts that smile right back on when Jesse looks down at her. "I thought you were being homeschooled?" she asks me.
"Babe, I told you this. He's finishing school here." Jesse interjects.
"Oh right, of course." She laughs. "Good to have you back Ethan."
"It's Nathan." I say.
"Oh, right. Sorry." She giggles.
I hate her so much. I hate everything about her. Why Jesse? Why couldn't you have had better taste?
"Still on for tonight?" She asks him in an innocent voice, making me cringe in disgust.
"You know it." He smiles.
She giggles and pecks him on the lips before turning on her six inch heels and walks away.
Thank God.
Jesse turns back to me and registers my frown before saying, "Seriously Nate? Come on, I thought she was growing on you."
"Yeah, well you thought wrong."
"We've been dating for three months now. She's been over a countless number of times and she even brought you a present for your birthday. How can you not like her?"
"First off, my birthday was two months ago and she gave it to me last week. And may I add that the gift was a pair of socks. Second, she can barely ever get my name right. And third...she's Nikki." I argue.

"Oh come on, I mean....they were a nice pair of socks-"
"Nope."

                                        * * *

Jesse dropped me off at the guidance office where they gave me my schedule. They told me to wait for a student peer to come show me around. My goal this year is to try and make friends. The more friends I have the less enemies I can make.
"Are you Nathaniel?" I hear someone to the right of me approach. I look up and am awestruck by the angel standing in front of me. A light skinned girl with purple highlights mixing in with her long, light brown hair. Her eye color is the most perfect hazel I've ever seen, I just can't stop looking.
Realizing that I've just been staring at her, I quickly stand up and notice that I'm about five inches taller than her.
"Yeah, that's me. You can call me Nathan though" I reply.
"Great, then let's get started, my name is Violet." She says excitedly. Which made her seem so much more adorable--
Wait, Violet?
I knew she looked familiar.
"So, we're both sophomores, which makes it a lot more easier for me to show you around." She smiles. "They gave me your schedule and it looks like we also have some classes together."
" Great." I smile back.
She blushes a little at my smile. I must have the same as Jesse's. I like how she doesn't look at me like I'm a mistake. She doesn't look at me like I'm a freak. There is no hate in the expression she's giving me, like those bullies did years ago.
But I figured she might not recognize me. It's been four years. And besides, who would remember a guy like me? But I definitely remember her, it's hard not to.
If nobody remembers me that means I can start over. I can turn over a new leaf.
I'm gonna be okay.
She smiles at me and starts to turn around, motioning with her head to follow her.
This might be a good year after all.

                                      * * *

"Did you just move here?" She asks, trying to start a conversation.
"Um no actually. I was born and raised here." I answer.
She looks at me questionably. "Really? How come I've never seen you before?"
That hurts.
"Well, you know, actually... I have seen you before." I cringed.
She stops to look at me. She narrows her eyes before saying, "Oh my god. Nathan. Nathan Cimorelli."
"You do remember me?" I ask with wide eyes.
"Of course!" She smiles widely. " You were in my English class in 6th grade."
And Math and Science but I'll keep that to myself.
"Right." I laugh. "And you're Violet Wilson." I remember. How can anyone forget someone like her?
"Wow, that's so crazy." She smiles even brighter, which makes my heart jump. She turns to resume the tour. "How have you been? I haven't seen you in forever." She glances back at me.
"Oh I've been fine. I've been getting homeschooled for the past 4 years, but you know, I thought it would be best to finish school here." I explain.
"That's good." She exclaims. "It must be nice to go to school with your brother, right?"
"Yeah, it is." I reply. "How do you know my brother?" I walk up beside her.
"Oh...well everyone knows him. He's one of the most popular guys in school. Football Quarterback, has the looks...which runs in the family." She blushes. "And dating like, the prettiest girl in school."
She thinks I'm handsome. I smile to myself. Without thinking, I blurt out. "She's not the prettiest." I beam at her.
Her face turns red, and she tries to hide her smile. My smile widens at how cute she is.
"What's this?" I ask as we walk towards a wide space, crowded with students of all stereotypes. Tables, couches and the school colors blue and gold everywhere.
"This is the student lounge." She answers, and clears her throat, still shaken from my compliment. "It's basically where people hang out before class or in between classes, or you can even come here to eat during lunch. It's everyone's favorite place here." She explains.
"Cool." And I mean really cool. I never would have thought that a school would have something like this. They never had things like this in middle school. I have a good feeling about this year.
I see Jesse in the far corner of the lounge, on a big, leather couch, surrounded by jocks and girls, with Nikki in his lap. Ugh. Nikki.
I catch Jesse's eye, and he smiles when he sees me and Violet. He waves us over.
"Come on." I nod towards my brother, gesturing for Violet to follow me. Violet looks confused at first, but then starts to walk close behind me, looking a little scared. I'm guessing she's not in with the popular crowd. Which makes me like her even more.
The crowd surrounding Jesse and a couple other guys beside him, makes a little path as we make our way through to my brother. As we approach, Nikki makes a disgusted face. Not for me, but towards Violet. If she has a problem with her, then she's gonna have a problem with me.
"Hey!" Jesse exclaims happily. "Have a seat." He motions towards the empty spot next to him on the couch.
"Nah I'm good. Violet's about to show me around." I look back at Violet, and smile when I see how shy she looks. She's too cute.
"Hey, Violet?" Jesse asks.
Violet hides her panic and stands more confidently. "Hi." She smiles.
"Nice to meet you." He nods his head in greeting. "Take good care of him alright?" He smiles, the smile that probably has all the girls fall for him.
"Of course." She says giddily.
"All right. I'll see you around." I tell him.
"Ok. Keep your phone on, I need tabs on you." He says.
Thank you Jesse for declaring to everyone that my big brother needs to keep tabs on me.
I nod quickly then take Violet's hand and walk quickly through the crowd, back to the hallway. After we get far away from the lounge, I let out a deep breath.
"Wow." Violet breathes behind me. She's staring unbelievably at the floor. "Jesse talked to me." She whispers. She looks up at me, as if remembering that I was there.
Great. My crush has a crush on my brother.
I take back what I said about this being a good year.
I look down at our intertwined hands at the same time that she does. I let go quickly, and she blushes.
I clear my throat. "We should finish that tour." I look ahead down the hall.
"Uh yeah. We have our first class together in Biology, so we'll head there."
My mood deflated, I mumble, "Cool."