Chapter 8: Scouting the prize

Beginne am Anfang

Everyone grunted and nodded in acknowledgement and began to claim their morning meal, sitting back on my throne, I turned to see Gothi, Mildew and other members of the Hooligan council approach me, voicing their concerns. "Lord, with the greatest respect, our people have never been to the steps of Rus before." Mildew said, as if trying to change my mind, I snap my fingers and order my slaves to bring me my meal, they bow their heads and go to the cooks who were already serving the people. Turning back to Mildew, the old man continued. "So, may I suggest we partake in raiding the Christian kingdom? Its already battle torn, many of our people rule the majority of the kingdoms there and we wouldn't be leaving empty handed."

Looking to Gothi, I ask her. "Gothi, what say you?" The old woman performs sign language and voices her concerns. 'Though Mildew speaks truth, many of our countrymen have already plundered England and already rule many of the kingdoms there.' Nodding in agreement at Gothi, I then turn to the rest of the council and raise my eyebrows at them; awaiting their words of concern as well.

"Both Gothi and Mildew speak truth Lord Stoick, but as you said earlier, we're Vikings. There is no reward without risk." One of the members said, I chuckled lightly and nodded in agreement before turning back to the older members of the council. "Thank you for your opinions Gothi and Mildew. But its time we Hooligans take a risk and go after a bigger prize. That prize being in Russia. I've already made up my mind." I say firmly, the members of the council bow their heads and leave me be.

Nodding to myself, I know full well that I'm already a famous and legendary dragon slayer, but news of Astrid killing the Night Fury has earned her more praise and fame than every dragon slayer on this island combined. So, this isn't just about raiding and making ourselves rich, but about enhancing our fame and reputation as well.

And what better way of doing that than raiding an empire?

(Hiccup's pov)

Never in my life have I ever seen such a beautiful prize— Paris, the Frankish capital. It was a walled city and out in the middle of a series of river channels that lead out all over Frankia. Currently, I was on board a traders ship and wore the clothing of a Northern trader, but in truth? It was only a disguise and a way to breach the Franks capital and scout their weakness, defenses, numbers in warriors and where their treasures were.

"K-King Haddock, with the greatest respect, Northman traders aren't... exactly respected here in Paris. Due to the past Viking sieges and attempted raids, they view us nothing more than animals." A Northman traveler by the name of Rollo said, the man was in his late sixties, he was bald and had Viking tattoos on his head, he had a pointy beard and he wore fine clothing, no doubt obtained through the riches he's made from trading.

Turning to the old trader, I scowled at him and replied back. "You forget we aren't really here to trade with the Franks old friend." I then turn back to Paris and smile at the massive city before continuing. "Besides, once the Black Danes have claimed Paris? It is the Franks who will be considered animals in our sights."

Much has changed during my three months as king over Dagfinn's people, some tried overthrowing me and tried to claim my power, but I made them pay for it with their lives and hanged their corpses in the streets to let the Danes know I am not to be trifled with. It was I who also named our untied six kingdoms as the 'Black Danes' and it was I who also helped the Danes train dragons, which took much time at first, but now? There are many dragon riders among us and are quite impressive with the dragons they have bonded with.

Also, during the three months, I and the people I ruled over who are black smiths constructed lighter yet stronger weapons out of Gronckle lava, three parts limestone, two parts sandstone, one part iron ore and a giant spoonful of hardened of a new material— Gronckle Iron. Once we learned the materials needed to make this new element? We began producing weapons on a massive scale throughout the six Danish kingdoms and have ensured all our warriors are armed with a modified weapon of their choosing.