CHAPTER SEVEN

Magsimula sa umpisa

     "All right, thank you."

    The woman sighs and looks at her watch.

"Daddy, let's build a sandcastle!"

"Ah, I think that's my cue." I smile.   

    I hop up and discard my shoes by the edge of the sandpit. As my feet sink into the sand, the grains are cool between my toes. I plonk onto the sand, Lo sits beside me and Blake across.

    "Do you want to build a sandcastle with us?"

    "Sure!" I nod. "What kind of princess is going to live here?"

    "How many unicorns will she have?"

    "Six." She grins. "Or ten."

    "What are their names?"

    "Oh, hm." She frowns.    

    I smooth the sand and London grabs a fist of sand and puts it onto the flat surface. She tilts her head to the side and sighs.

    "What's wrong, baby?"

    "When can I come home?" Tears swell in her eyes.

    I cup her cheek and stroke her skin.

    "Soon, baby girl."

    "I want to come home now."

     Tears trickle down her cheek and my heart pangs with sadness. I tug her onto my lap and snuggle her to my chest.

    "Just a little longer and then you'll be home."

    Blake brushes his hand over his cheek and looks away. I kiss the top of her head and smile.

    "We can have a big party when you come home! We can barbeque, your grandparents will come over, we can play in the pool with your unicorn floaties! How does that sound?"    

    London perks up and nods her head.

    "We should be going." The social worker stands at the edge of the sandpit clutching London's pink and yellow bag.

    "Really? It hasn't been that long." I frown.

    "It's an emergency and we need to leave."

    "I don't want to go." She pouts.

    "The sooner you go, the sooner you can come back and we can have the party." I smile.

    I swing London into the air and smother her face in kisses. I pass her to Blake and he nuzzles her to his chest.

    "When you come home, we can buy all the unicorns at the shop."

    "Really?" She gasps.

    "Yes, of course." He nods.

    "Please say your goodbyes."

    Blake clutches her tightly and sighs. He places her on the ground and she grabs his leg.

    "Don't make me go."

    Blake brushes his cheeks and my heartbreaks. I grab London and she squeals.

    "Hey, it's okay!" I kiss her cheek.

    London clings to my shirt as I pass her to the woman. Her limbs flying through the air and the woman frowns.

    "If you don't behave, you won't get the unicorns."

    Tears pour down her cheeks as the social worker balances her on her hip. Blake stands beside me and clings onto my hand.

    "I'll see you soon, so soon, baby girl!"

    A flash of guilt travels through the woman's brown eyes. I wrap my arm around Blake's waist and tug him to my chest.

    "Just remember that, we'll see her soon," I whisper.

    "I hate it when she's upset. I hate that I can fix things for her."

    Blake presses his forehead against mine and sniffles. I cup his cheek and tug his lips to mine.

    "We only have a couple more days and then on the best outcome, she'll be with us, at home, snuggled with her unicorns, fairy light on, of course."

"I doubt we'll see her face once she's piled all those unicorns around her." Blake laughs.

"Let's go home and we can invite everyone over, de-stress or we cuddle, watch a movie, snuggle in bed, grab takeout or something, whatever you want."

"How about food and a movie? I don't feel like entertaining people."

"Sounds great." I nod.

I brush the tears from his cheeks and smile.

He takes my hand and guides me to the car. I shove Blake to the passenger's side while I jump into the driver's seat. It's weird being the leader, but I enjoy it.