Chapter 7: True to my heart

-----while writing this chapter I listened to the song Everything has changed by Taylor Swift. It really describes Adelle's change of heart in this chapter. So maybe if you feel like it try listening to this song while reading! (Also sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors I haven't had time to edit it sorry!!)-----

Adelle

"He what?!"

Abby and I were sitting in a small cafe off of Main Street drinking what I consider the best hot chocolate in Oregon. I had just told her about Wes asking me out and she wasn't taking the news quietly.

"Shh! I don't want the whole state of Oregon knowing! Let alone the girls at school knowing, I would be dead by morning."

"Sorry. He what?!" She repeated a little more quietly, leaning across the table.

"Wes asked me on a date and I said yes," I replied with deliberate patience.

"I knew it!" Abby was practically bouncing with joy.

"Knew what?" I dreaded the answer.

"You like him!"

"Just because I agreed to go on a date with him doesn't mean I like him," I reasoned.

"Yeah whatever, you like him. The stupid smile on your face tells all." Abby flagged down a waiter so we could get to-go cups.

Do I like him? I certainly had feelings for Wes but it didn't feel like a simple crush. It went deeper than that. And on top of this I started to have more of those weird dream-like visions were I'm doubled over in pain and I feel like I'm flying. But instead of seeing the kelidescope of blue I saw in Abby's car and every night in my dreams, I saw three people; one man, one women, and one boy. And standing over them was a group of men dressed all in black, aiming a gun to their heads. But with these visions I started to feel emotions. Like raw terrible sadness, anger, and grief. The emotions so strong they're staggering. The women gets shot first and the man beside her, who I assume is her husband, goes ballistic. But shortly after he is killed as well, leaving the boy screaming but as they put the gun to the boy's temple I am whisked back to my room where I sit with hot tears making tracks down my cheeks, feeling emotions that are not mine. Then I am missing Wes with renewed longing and I am oddly famished.

I don't understand why this is happening. I'm scared I'm going crazy. But even as I am thinking that, I'm missing Wes. I'm still intensely attracted to him. When I'm with him I don't feel that empty feeling of loss. I feel perfect and whole. Content for the first time in days. But then I'm not with him and the longing and loss comes roaring back and I'm staggered by the pain. I've become an expert at hiding the pain around Abby and my parents but when I'm by myself I become flooded with longing for Wes it's all I can do not to call him. It is absolutely insane!

That is why I agreed to go in that date with Wes. I needed answers. I needed to be rid of that longing and loss. And I knew Wes was the one with answers. I was not going to hide for my feelings for him anymore. I liked him. A lot. And it was time to act on that attraction because I knew he felt it too.

"Adelle!" Abby was snapping her fingers in front of my face.

"What? Oh sorry I guess I kinda spaced out." I flashed a sheepish smile and shrugged on my sweater. It was only the middle of October and it was already chilly enough to require a sweater.

"Yeah you do that a lot lately. What's going on?"

"Sorry I just have a lot on my mind right now." We stepped out into the cold drizzle.

"It's okay, I'm just wondering what is wrong."

"Nothing is wrong. I'm just nervous about AP English." Total lie but Abby didn't need to know that. I unlocked the car and we climbed in. Hurriedly I turned on the heater and began driving as the car warmed up.