Chapter 6: Take a deep breath

Adelle

Teachers are cruel. 

They base your grade on standing up on front of the class and talking. What about the shy people? How do they get a good grade? Why base your semester grade on talking in front of a bunch of teenagers who even don't care what you say?

But there I was with clammy hands and shaking knees. Wondering; where was Wes? He told me he was going to be here. My grade depended on him being here. And as much as I wanted to deny it, I kinda needed him for moral support. I hated talking in front of the class.

Right as the final bell rang Wes breezed through the door, flashing me his signature half smile.

"Cutting it a little close aren't we Mr. Payne?" Mr. Stoker's nasally voice carried over the classroom.

"It's only cutting it close if you don't make the bell. I made the bell." Wes smarted, matter-of-fact. Leaving a spluttering Mr. Stoker at the front of the class.

Wes took his seat next to me and I instantly felt better. My knees didn't shake and I didn't feel like I was going to vomit. I exhaled with relief.

"Nervous I wasn't going to be here?" Wes said, reclining back in his seat.

"Actually yes I was nervous you weren't going to show. Then I would have to do the project by myself." And even though Wes was right beside me my hands started to shake and I became nervous all over again. I bounced my knee up and down, unable to sit still.

"Adelle are you nervous or do you have it pee?"

"I'm nervous, you nimrod. I hate presenting in front of the class." I cast him a side glance.

"Wow the unshakeable Adelle freaks out over talking in front of the class. I would have never thought." Wes chuckled under his breath.

"Shut up Wes, your not making this any better." I let my head drop into my hands, hiding my face from view.

"It's okay Adelle, I'll help you. I'll do most of the talking 'cause we both know I'm good at that." Wes winked at me and I felt my face flush. I quickly looked away.

"Adelle and Wes you are up next." Mr. Stoker called out gleefully, enjoying every second of our pain.

I stood on wobbly legs, trying to take deep breaths.

Wes put his hand on my lower back and whispered, "It's okay Adelle, you can do this. I'm here." His scent washed over me and his close proximity calmed me down and gave me confidence as I walked to the front of the room. Wes a step behind me.

"Our project is on the spies in the Civil War."

My voice didn't even shake. I read off the paragraphs of the spies I researched, then Wes read his. It was all over in a matter of minutes.

"Good you get a B plus."

I laughed softly as we sat back down.

"Well a B plus is better than nothing. Thank you." I meant more than just a 'thank you' for the project. I meant a 'thank you' for him calming me down and giving courage to present.

"No problem love."

I gasped at his endearment.

"It's cute when you do that."

"It is not and don't call me that." I glare at him.

"What? Cute or Love?"

"Both."