Chapter 19: All Hail the King

"Sometimes, home has a heartbeat."

~Beau Taplin

Wes

I was aware of a steady beeping noise.

I rolled my head to the side and blinked the blurriness from my eyes. Shifting slightly, my arm slid along another's skin. I turned my head quickly, my head swimming dizzily, and nearly cried in relief; Adelle was beside me, pressed against my side. Her face turned towards me and lips parted slightly as she breathed evenly. I watched the rise and fall of her chest, making sure.

    Content that she was okay, I turned my gaze to the room and was surprised to see that I was back in my old room at my family's estate. A smile touched my lips as I breathed in the comforting scent of home.

    I went to raise my left arm and found an IV sticking out of my elbow. I followed the tube up to an IV tower and bag filled with clear fluid. Looking across Adelle I saw that she was hooked up to one too. Looking back to the room, I was happy to see that things hadn't been changed. The walls were still a cool shade of gray, the bedspread a dark navy blue, and my record collection still in order.

    The click of the door had me turning my head anxiously. My body tensed up but then relaxed as Roan walked into the room.

"You look like hell," he deadpanned.

"And you're still ugly," I smirked.

"I'm glad you're alive, both of you." He looked sincere, jerking his head to Adelle.

"Thank you for getting us out of there." I was slightly ashamed that I couldn't do it myself.

"You know I would do anything for you." Roan walked over and sat in a chair that was situated beside me.

"How is Kyle?"

"Good. Still recovering but doing better," he said, picking at a scab on his knuckle. He was thinking. 

"How bad was it?" I asked, knowing he knew what I was talking about.

Roan leaned forward and placed his elbows on his knees. "Bad. Once we got you guys out we put you on a helicopter and flew you back to the estate. We didn't know if you would make it back. We had to start performing chest compressions on Adelle and hook you up to oxygen. You only stabilized the day before yesterday."

I was silent, shaken to the core. I looked at Adelle, and watched again as she drew in steady breaths.

"How long was I out?" My voice came out rough, my eyes still fixed on Adelle.

"It's been a week," he said and breathed out a heavy sigh.

I nodded, thinking over everything.

"When will she wake up?"

"It's hard to tell but I'm guessing soon," He paused. "Wes, it was really bad. We were in the room as the Elder performed the Separation. I had to watch as you screamed and Adelle -It was heartbreaking. We stopped it just in time, but the effects it had were awful. Your chest looked like it had been ran over by a train. The bruising was so dark and both of you were barely breathing-"

"Stop." I cut him off, my hand clenched in the sheets.

"Sorry." Roan looked away.

"It's fine, I just don't want to know," I reassured him, knowing that he rambled when he was anxious. We'd been friends since grade school. He was like my brother; I could only imagine what it had been like to watch.

Time AgainOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara