Chapter 11: It Wasn't my Heart Breaking, but my Soul

Chapter 11: It Wasn't my Heart that was Breaking, but my Soul

"He's more of myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."

- Emily Bronte

Wes

Watching Adelle in pain was one of the hardest things I've ever experienced.

I knew she was going to be okay but I also knew I couldn't do anything to lessen the pain. The first travel is always the hardest but as Adelle travels more the pain will go away. I couldn't wait for that to happen.

After traveling back to that morning, I left Adelle to wake up again and went home to my apartment that didn't even really feel like a home, I yearned for Ireland and I yearned for Adelle and I found myself pacing, again. My eyes flitting to the clock every couple of minutes, waiting for when I could go pick Adelle up for the second time. Now that I knew the Cumacht were in the area and hunting Adelle I couldn't risk making the same mistake and instead of taking her back up the mountain I was just going to bring her back to the apartment.

I debated about what to tell her. I didn't know if I should tell her what happened or if I should tell her about soulmates, or if I should just act like nothing happened.

"Ugh!" I ran both hands through my already disheveled hair, tugging at the roots. I didn't know what to do! She was bound to remember something so maybe I should have asked her? I groaned in frustration. Then my already wild thoughts spiraled down another road: my brother.

The leader of the Cumacht, Caine Knightly, said he was alive and had turned to their side. Kyle was dead I saw him... no I didn't. I never saw him die! I never stayed watching through the end. For a moment I was exuberant, then dark thoughts crowded my mind. If he was alive then that meant he was either prisoner or Kyle really did turn to the Cumacht. Both situations were grim and I knew there was only one way to find out the answer. I had to travel back to the moment my parents were killed and watch the whole thing to see if Kyle met the same fate.

Taking a deep breath I closed my eyes and let my mind envision the Corridor, preparing to travel when my phone blared to life, ringing loudly in my silent apartment. Jumping I ran to the counter where my phone sat and saw Adelle's name across the screen. I quickly answered and put my phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I was cautious.

"Do you want to explain what the hell happened?" Came her screaming reply.

"I'm sorry," I answered automatically.

"I don't want you to be sorry, I want you to answer my question!" Adelle was mad. I could practically feel her emotions through the phone.

"Come to my apartment and I'll explain everything," I guess I was telling her everything. "I'll pick you up in five."

"No, I'll drive myself. I need to think," Adelle replied, the anger draining from her voice.

I couldn't let her do that. The Cumacht were in the area and were probably watching her. I needed to be with her so I could protect her.

"I'm sorry but the Cumacht are in the area, and I'm assuming you remember what happened on our date. I need you to be safe so I'm coming to pick you up, see you in five and please don't leave the house," I knew how stubborn she could be.

"Fine. But just because I know you'll flip out."

I sagged in relief. "Okay, I'll see you soon."

With a heavy sigh I grabbed my truck keys off the counter and jogged down the stairs and out to my car, my eyes darting every direction, assessing and making sure there wasn't any Cumacht hiding. I couldn't afford to be lax. Looking around one more time I slipped into the truck and pulled out of the parking lot, anticipation weighing heavy on my shoulders. As I drove I scanned the road looking for threats while keeping my mind open so I could feel Adelle in case she was in any trouble.