Chapter 16: Goodbyes Were Never Meant To Be Happy

"How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

~A. A. Milne

Adelle

I inhaled the scent of the holidays. The turkey was in the oven and my mom was rolling out pie dough. I stood at the stove and stirred the thick gravy for mashed potatoes. Leaning over I lifted the lid to the crock pot. Inside was Wes's favorite dish that his mom used to make. I had called Ronan earlier in the week and asked about it. Smiling I replaced the lid and turned down the heat for the gravy.

"Adelle can you get started on the pumpkin pie?" My mom spread some more flour over the counter.

"Sure," I put the other dish I made for Wes into the oven. It was an Irish apple cake. Ronan said that was Wes's favorite dessert.

I started to roll out the pie crust. Once that was done I made the pumpkin filling. I finished with the pie and put it in the oven. I sat down on one of the bar stools and watched my mom hurry around the kitchen. Although they weren't my biological parents, I didn't care. They raised me and I loved them. They were there for every school event, every birthday, every Christmas. They kissed my bumps and bruises, fed me, tucked me in at night, and held me through nightmares. They were my parents, I loved them even though I wasn't their daughter by blood.

"Adelle dinner is in an hour, how about you go get ready?" My mom's voice broke through my thoughts. Jumping off the stool I went around the counter and kissed her cheek then bounded up the stairs to my room.

I picked out a simple cream shirt, a printed scarf and some maroon skinny jeans. I ran a brush through my hair and smeared on some lipstick. I sprayed on my favorite perfume and clasped a simple gold necklace around my neck. I smiled into the mirror as I ran my finger across the small heart shaped pendent. Wes had our initials engraved across the front: W+A. Happy with my appearance I turned the light off and walked back downstairs.

I checked the beef stew in the crock-pot and took the apple cake out of the oven along with the pumpkin pie. Standing on my tip toes I took down the plates and began to set the table. It was going to be a small family thing. Just my parents, Wes, and I. Usually we had Abby's family over but they had gone to visit some family. As I set down the last fork I felt Wes pull up out front. He had been so busy making preparations for our trip to Ireland that I hadn't seen him in a day. Already, I had trouble sleeping and my hands shook with small tremors. We needed to say the Vows; it was getting too dangerous for the both of us to be apart.

I dropped the fork and ran to the front door, ignoring my parents amused laughter. Throwing it open I flew down the front steps and right into Wes's arms. I sighed as the world settled.

"Hello, my love," Wes dropped a kiss to my forehead.

"Hi," I answered a bit breathlessly, leaning my head against his strong chest.

"There's been a change of plans," he murmured into my hair.

"What is it?"

"As soon as we getting to Ireland we're saying the Vows; I will not be without you anymore. And once they're said, I'll be able to feel your emotions so much stronger. I can protect you better," as he spoke, Wes dropped kisses all across my face. Getting close to my lips but never quite landing on them.

"Good," I turned my head so our lips finally met. I melted into his arms, gripping his shoulders as my knees became weak. Wes swept his arms around my back, pressing me into him and deepening the kiss. All too soon he released my lips and I made a small noise of disappointment.