Chapter 15: A Need To Know Basis

"Words are like bullets: when well aimed, they have a pretty hard effect" ~Unknown

Wes

If only I could erase time and go back to when things were simple. When it was just my brother, my mom, my dad, and me. If only that was an option.

Sighing, I grasped the edge of the folder and tipped it open, revealing the contents of our plan. I must have been mental to have Adelle be the bait. I must have been insane, crazy, absolutely off my rocker. I was doing something I promised myself I would never do, but I guess some promises were meant to be broken.

I stood and rolled my shoulders back, my back ached from slouching over my desk for so long. Looking over I watched Adelle's chest rise and fall evenly as she slept peacefully in my bed. In my t-shirt. She had a knack for stealing them. Not that I minded. In fact I found it insanely sexy. Yawning I checked the time: eight minutes past midnight. Those four digits had my heart racing, Adelle was supposed to be home almost thirty minutes ago. Grabbing a coat and my car keys I gently scooped Adelle into my arms and walked out to the car.

"Wes," she mumbled with a frown.

"Sh, I'm taking you home," I set her down in the passenger seat and softly closed the door.

Ten minutes later I was walking through her front door with Adelle still asleep in my arms.

"You're late," Adelle's dad said from the living room.

"Sorry, Mr. Montgomery I was doing some paperwork and time slipped away," I was still standing with Adelle in my arms.

"It's fine, I'm just giving you a hard time. Go on up and put her in her bed then come back down here so we can go over some details for getting your brother back."

"Yes sir." I turned and walked up the stairs to Adelle's room. Not bothering to turn on the lights I made my way to her bed and laid her down. Grabbing the throw blanket at the bottom I pulled it over her and pressed a lingering kiss to her forehead. Silently I made my way back downstairs and sat down on the couch across from her dad.

"So what do we have so far?" He inquired.

"Well I bought the plane tickets for the four of us and Roan booked the hotel," I leaned forward and placed my forearms on top of my knees.

"Good." Mr. Montgomery was silent for a moment. I took the second to close my eyes as I rubbed my aching temples.

"You're tired Weston," he stated.

"Yes, sir," I looked back up at him.

"You know, your dad was a really good man. He always put others before himself without a second thought. I had a lot of respect for him."

"Thank you sir," my voice came out gruffer than I intended, exhaustion and emotion creating it.

"You are just like him, an exact replica. But unlike your father, don't forget to live and please be here for Adelle. She needs you and you need her, more than you know." Mr. Montgomery stood and clasped my shoulder.

"I will, I promise." I looked straight into his eyes, making sure he saw that I meant what I said.

"Good. You can crash on the couch tonight, it's too late to be driving home." With that he left the room and returned with a blanket and pillow.

"Thank you sir." I took the items from him and he left upstairs.

I laid back against the pillow and let my mind drift to my miracle upstairs. I felt her presence in my mind and with that comfort I let sleep draw me into its waiting arms.