Chapter 13

Come in."

Adrien slowly opened the door to his father's office. Gabriel stood by a large window, looking outside. It was a busy day in Paris, as the people were bustling in the busy city. The light illuminated inside the room, but the mood the filled the air was suspenseful and dark. Knowing Gabriel Agreste, he had the tendency to do that in any room he walked into.

Adrien didn't go too far into the room, knowing his boundaries when it came to his father. He stood up straight and tall, not afraid of what was going to happen to him. Although he knew he shouldn't have embarrassed his father in front of his friends and their families, he had to do something before his father banned him from going to school and never seeing his friends and Marinette again.

Gabriel didn't turn, already knowing who was in the room the moment they stepped in. He continued looking out the window, his hard expression on his face replacing his shocked one from previously.

"I meant what I said." Adrien spoke first, tired of the silence, of all the tension. "I meant every word."

Gabriel huffed, shaking his head. "Foolish boy, you never realize what is good for you, do you?"

"How can I ever realize what's good for me if I can't even do anything for myself?" Adrien crossed his arms, narrowing his eyes at his father.

"Are you done speaking nonsense?"

"I am not speaking nonsense. I'm speaking the truth." Adrien clenched his fists. "You have never treated me as your son, despite me doing everything you wanted me to do, trying to earn your approval, trying to please you. I have never once talked back to you or complain to you, or ask for favors and requests from you. And yet, when I do, you shoot me down before I can even finish what I'm about to say! And I'm tired of you always being such an asshole to everyone I become friends with!"

"DO NOT SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT!" Gabriel snapped and turned his head, making Adrien jump up in response. "I have had it with your ignorance and your rebellion! Loving or not, I am still your father! You are to treat me as one!"

"Why should I treat you as a father when you have never acted like one? You've never been to any of my fencing matches, my piano recitals, my basketball games, nothing! You've never tucked me in at night when I was younger, or read me a story, or played a game of catch with me." A tear rolled down Adrien's cheek, and he shook with every word he spoke, but his voice never faltered. "You've never even told me you loved me. Not once, and I'm tired of waiting, hoping, that maybe one day you would. How can you expect me to treat you like my fath-, no, my dad?"

Gabriel stared at his son, his brows furrowing in confusion, shock, and anger. "What?"

"Anyone could be a father," Adrien said, now walking towards the door, signaling his leave. "But not everyone can be a dad. And you," Adrien opened the door wide, his body already halfway into the hall. "You will only be my father." The door closed.

And so did Adrien's heart.

Marinette was inside of Adrien's bedroom, pacing and looking extremely nervous. She didn't know how long their talk would be, and she didn't want to be the start of it. Oh, who is she kidding? She is the start of it. Her and Chat Noir, they're the reason they're in this predicament in the first place. Adrien has told her on countless occasions that she is worth the risk that he didn't care for anyone else but her.

But was she really worth all of this? Straining his already thin relationship with his father, cutting ties with his childhood friend who put their privacy out for their own parents to hear, it was just so much for one person. She knows Adrien had only one person in his life, before she mysteriously left without a warning or even a sign. How could someone so good, so kind, have all this negativity in his life?