-Chapter 45: Understanding-

-Cassie-

"Are you gonna go to homecoming?" Kris asked, her voice filled with eager anticipation, revealing her excitement about the upcoming event.

I paused, taken aback by the question. While the idea of attending homecoming seemed appealing, my mind immediately wandered to the dilemma of finding a suitable date. Perhaps Zeke would be a good choice?

"I haven't really thought about it," I replied, my thoughts still swirling with uncertainty and indecision.

Kris shrugged, understanding my hesitation. "That's okay. You ready to go?" she asked, her eyes scanning the room as she packed her final suitcase, hinting at the impending departure.

A surge of mixed emotions washed over me—excitement blended with a touch of apprehension. With the last box safely secured in Kris' wagon, I turned to face her. "Why the wagon though?" I inquired, curious about her choice of transportation.

Kris shrugged playfully, a mischievous glint dancing in her eyes. "Why not?" she responded, embracing the element of surprise.

"Fair enough," I acknowledged, stealing one last glance at the house that held countless memories, both joyful and challenging. Leaving behind that familiar abode felt like the right decision, despite the bittersweet tinge.

"Cas? You okay?" Kris interjected, her voice cutting through the veil of nostalgia, expressing concern for my well-being.

"Oh, yeah. I was just lost in thought," I reassured her, meeting her gaze to emphasize my words.

Kris offered a half-smile, her tone tinged with a warning. "Careful. You might not find your way out."

Her edgy remark elicited a smile from me. "Noted," I responded, appreciating Kris' unconventional perspective.

"Look on the bright-ish side," Kris attempted to inject a touch of positivity into the moment. "You don't have to deal with the headmaster now since they're aware of the situation."

"True, it's only temporary, right?" I sought clarification, my uncertainty seeping into my words.

"From what we've gathered, yes. You'll only stay until they locate any relatives," Kris explained, radiating confidence and reassurance.

"Got it," I replied softly, feeling a sense of calm settling within me.

"C'mon, let's get you settled," Kris declared, her voice firm as she took the lead, pulling the wagon towards our destination.

I nodded, my hands tightly gripping the wagon's handle as I joined her in the task at hand.

Upon our arrival at the orphanage and unloading my belongings, Kris left me to decorate the room to my liking. As she walked away, a mixture of hope and uncertainty flooded my thoughts, as I contemplated the future that awaited me in this new environment.