-Chapter 2: Kristina-

-Kris-

The piercing buzz of my phone disrupted the peaceful stillness of my bedroom, jolting me awake. I groaned and stretched, fighting off the remnants of sleep before reaching for the source of the disturbance. The morning breeze rustled the leaves outside, whispering promises of a new day. With a brush in hand, I made my way to the bathroom, intending to tame my unruly hair. But as I stood there, a mischievous idea took hold of me, and a smirk crept across my face. Setting my phone down, I grabbed my glasses, readied myself, and ventured into the common room of the orphanage, in search of sustenance.

Unlike my friends Zeke and Jessie, I was an early riser, embracing the dawn's arrival with open arms. That had always been my nature, my rhythm. I stood in the doorway for a moment, observing the carefree innocence of the young children playing and frolicking, unaware of the trials that awaited them. If only they knew, I thought sadly to myself, as I watched their untroubled joy.

Returning to my room with a piece of toast in hand, I collected my belongings and proceeded to bombard Zeke with a flurry of peculiar text messages until he either silenced his phone or it crashed. I couldn't be certain. Before I knew it, I found myself outside Zeke's house, waiting patiently for him to finish preparing himself and join me.

---

Zeke's readiness surprised me, taking less time than I had anticipated. The front door swung open, revealing one of my closest companions, perpetually adorned with a perpetually grumpy expression. But I understood why.

"Hey, Red!" I greeted him cheerfully, unable to contain my smile.

"Hey, Kris," he responded in his typical monotone. "Ready for school?"

"Six miserable hours of our lives? Hell no," I scoffed, rolling my eyes playfully. "And you? Prepared to be the new kid?" My sarcasm hung in the air.

"Fuck. No," he retorted, his playful scowl emerging.

After a few minutes of casual banter, we finally set off toward the school, cutting through the park that lay across the street from Zeke's house. The park was serene, offering ample open space, picnic tables, and a playground. Amidst the bustling city of Boston, it remained a peaceful oasis at this early hour, though a slight chill hung in the air.

"I wonder when Jess will arrive," I mused to myself. "Hopefully, she isn't already at school."

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity of silence, Zeke decided to break the stillness and initiate a conversation.

"So, care to explain why you bombarded me with countless messages? I was trying to get ready," he queried.

"Cuz," I replied, a mischievous smile dancing on my lips. "It's amusing."

"Not really, but fine," he grumbled, slightly irritated.

"My apologies, my lord. I was simply bored," I teased, maintaining my mischievous grin.

"I'm not a lord," he retorted.

"I know," I chuckled, my smile never faltering. "I was merely jesting."

Just then, the sound of approaching footsteps reached our ears from behind.

"SUP, BITCHES!" Jessie hollered, wrapping her arms around Zeke and me.

"Good morning, Jessica!" I greeted her warmly, my smile widening.

Zeke, wearing a bewildered expression, couldn't help but question, "Why do you always do this?"

With a shrug and a hint of mischief in her eyes, Jessie replied, "Because life's too short to be quiet and subdued, my friend."