-Chapter 5: First Impressions-

-Jess-

School. It's probably the last place on Earth I want to be. The irony is not lost on me that I'm the one responsible for improving this place as a member of the student government, yet I can't muster any genuine care for it. But hey, I do my best, or at least I try to.

Glancing at my watch, I gasp softly and turn to my companions.

"Hey, I'm late for my meeting. I'll catch you both later, yeah?" I inform them.

They both nod in understanding, and before they can say anything else, I dart off down the block, hastening my steps.

---

Arriving at the school, I quickly compose myself, adjusting my appearance to seem presentable before stepping through the entrance.

"Sup, Mr. Mays," I greet the receptionist with a casual nod.

"Good morning, Jessica," Mr. Mays replies, his smile warm and welcoming. "The new student is waiting for you in my office. You have the first couple of classes off to show her around."

"Thank you so much. I hope they'll feel welcome here," I respond with a grin.

"I'm sure they will," Mr. Mays assures me cheerfully. "Here are all the papers the new student will need to get signed. Make sure you give them to her."

"Yes, sir!" I beam, accepting the papers before turning and heading towards the principal's office.

---

"Sorry, I'm late," I pant as I enter the main office. "Um, I'm looking for Ms. Cassandra Fletcher?"

A girl wearing a shirt that reveals a bit too much and a plaid skirt stands up, her hair partially covering one eye.

"Th-that's me," she stammers nervously.

"Okay, well, my name is Jessica Sinclair, but you can call me Jessie," I introduce myself with a friendly smile. "I'm the class president for this year."

"Um, okay, Jessie," Cassandra hesitates.

I can sense that Cassandra doesn't want to be here, and who can blame her? Nevertheless, I put on my best smile and approach her.

"Good morning, Cassie. May I call you that?" I inquire, extending my hand for a handshake.

She reluctantly shakes my hand but remains silent.

"Not much of a talker, are you?" I comment, trying to break the awkward silence.

Cassie shakes her head, indicating a negative response.

...
...
More awkward silence ensues.
...
...

"Well, then!" I exclaim, attempting to inject some enthusiasm into the situation.

Cassie jumps slightly, startled by my sudden burst of energy.

"Let's get on with the tour," I say, giving a little giggle.

Though reluctant, Cassie follows, and we continue our tour through the school.

---

"And over here is the lunchroom, where lunch is served," I announce, hoping to elicit even a slight smile from Cassie.

Cassie glances at the cafeteria doors, nods politely, and returns her gaze to the floor.

I sigh quietly, realizing that connecting with her won't be easy. However, as I turn around, I spot Kris and Zeke standing by their lockers, engaged in conversation. A mischievous idea takes shape in my mind.

"Eureka!" I think. "I know just what to do."

I turn towards Cassie, a determined expression on my face.

"Sorry, but could you wait here for a sec? I gotta go talk to someone," I inform her.

She nods, her gaze fixed on the floor once again. I pivot on my heels and make my way towards my friends.

"Zeke! Krissy!" I exclaim, throwing my arms around them They both turn to look at me, Kris with her bright smile and Zeke with his usual deadpan expression.

"Hey, Jess! How's the tour going?" Kris gushes, noticing Cassie standing behind me.

"It's going well, thanks," I reply. "Although she isn't much of a talker."

Zeke interjects with a hint of sarcasm, "So, she's like me?"

I chuckle, knowing Zeke's reputation for being a man of few words. "Well, maybe you two will have a lot to bond over," I tease.

"Fuck off," Zeke retorts, scowling and rolling his eyes.

I laugh at his response, appreciating his dry sense of humor. But I quickly shift back to the purpose of my visit.

"Anyways," I whisper to Kris, "I don't think our newbie over here is going to be the conversation starter. Can you guys try to hang out with her at lunch?"

Kris's eyes light up with excitement. "Sure thing! I'll make sure she feels included."

I turn to Zeke, raising an eyebrow. "What about you, dipshit? Can you handle some company at lunch?"

Zeke shrugs nonchalantly. "Sure, I don't see why not."

"Thanks, guys!" I express my gratitude before walking back to Cassie, who has been patiently waiting.

"Shall we continue?" I ask her, mustering up enthusiasm once again.

"S-sure," Cassie peeps, her voice quiet and uncertain. "I g-guess."

She spoke again, and I can't help but feel a glimmer of hope. Perhaps there's more to Cassie than meets the eye. With that thought, I lead her through the rest of the school tour, determined to make her feel welcome and help her find her place in this new environment.