-Chapter 24: In These Empty Halls-

-Kris-

It's late, and the weight of exhaustion bears down on me, yet sleep eludes my grasp. I find myself sitting at my desk, pencil in hand, attempting to capture the delicate intricacies of Zeke's flower once again. Progress has been made this time, but my mind remains preoccupied. Opening the drawer of my old desk, I retrieve the note that has become all too familiar, its contents etched into my memory.

"Why did you do it, CeCe?" I silently question, my thoughts echoing in the silence. "Why?"

No answers come forth, only the eerie stillness of the night. Tears stain the half-finished drawing of Zeke's rose, mirroring the teardrops that escape my eyes.

After what feels like an eternity of staring out the window, I rise from my seat and cautiously crack open the door to my room. The orphanage slumbers in the darkness, its empty corridors devoid of life. It's no surprise; the workers and the other kids are fast asleep. With measured steps, I tread down the hallway until I reach a door labeled: "Roof access. Keep out." I turn the doorknob, half-expecting it to be locked, but to my surprise, it swings open silently. A quick glance over my shoulder confirms that no one is nearby before I step inside, gently closing the door behind me. The ladder awaits, leading me upward toward the rooftop.

Perched on the edge of the towering building, I let my feet dangle freely into the open air.

"Hey, Celeste," I murmur, my voice carried away by the wind. "I know you're probably too far away to hear me, somewhere up there in the heavens. But I wanted to say that Zeke and I miss you terribly. I'm sure your friends back in Long Beach feel the same, but Zeke and I miss you the most. He doesn't talk about that night, but there's a light in his eyes when he reminisces about the adventures you two shared," I confess to the vast expanse before me.

Who am I speaking to, I wonder. The emptiness engulfs me, and yet, I feel the need to voice my thoughts to someone, anyone.

"He mentions this old ship called the Queen Mary, your favorite place in the world, I've heard. I've seen pictures, and it truly is a sight to behold. Perhaps someday I can convince Zeke to take me there," I chuckle, though it holds a tinge of sadness.

"He has beautiful eyes, you know. But of course, you've known him forever. I'm sure you've looked into those eyes countless times," I say, closing my own eyes as I continue to pour out my heart.

"What's it like up there? Is it beautiful? Lonely? I've always wondered. Although, I don't think I'll ever make it to heaven. The Bible says being gay is a sin. But, well, it's been nice talking to you, CeCe. Zeke and I love you so much," I confess, tears streaming down my face.

"Oh, and one more thing, if it's possible, could you watch over him? Like a guardian or something? I have a feeling he's going to need it," I beseech, my voice carrying a sense of urgency. In that moment, I swear I see a star flicker, a silent acknowledgment that my words have been heard. "Thank you," I whisper, concluding our one-sided conversation.

Hours pass as I remain perched on the rooftop, gazing at the distant cityscape and the twinkling lights adorning its buildings. Time loses its meaning, slipping away unnoticed, until the sun begins its ascent.

"Shit!" I exclaim, a jolt of panic coursing through me. I quickly retrace my steps, retracing my path back to my room, careful to avoid detection as I slip inside before anyone can notice my absence.