-Chapter 23: The Voices-

Warning!: there are mentions of Blood, bullying, self-harm, and suicide in the texts below.

-Cassie-

The night is a realm where the voices take control, a twisted symphony of torment. They revel in their power, saying whatever they please, eliciting the desired reaction from me. I am helpless against their onslaught.

"They don't care about you; they're only raising you up to bring you crashing down," the voices persist within my mind.

"Go away," I plead in a hushed whisper, hoping to silence them.

"We will never leave, Cassandra. We shall forever haunt your existence. There is no escape from us," they hiss maliciously.

I cast my gaze downward, my eyes fixating on the scabbed wounds adorning my arm—an ominous reminder of the havoc wreaked when my mind succumbs to their control.

"Do it again," they bark, their demand dripping with sadistic pleasure. "Remember how exhilarating it was last time?"

In a desperate attempt to drown out the voices, I clasp my hands over my ears, futilely seeking solace.

"No, no, no, not again," I protest aloud, a plea echoing into the void. "Please, I beg you, cease this torment."

"Do it, you worthless piece of trash!" they order, their contempt tangible.

"No! I refuse," I declare in defiance. "Never again!"

And then, I rise. I refuse to let these malevolent entities become the harbingers of my demise.

"I shall rid myself of you," I hiss, addressing the monsters that plague my mind.

"That is impossible," they challenge, their voices filled with arrogant certainty. "Nothing can vanquish us."

"Care to wager on that?" I retort, defying them to utter another word.

An eerie silence descends, leaving only the oppressive weight of their presence hanging in the air.

Determined, I make my way to the kitchen, my steps resolute. I grasp a sizable knife, testing its sharpness with a careful stroke across my finger. The crimson flow confirms its effectiveness, leaving me satisfied. There is no need for a farewell note; these abominations do not deserve an explanation. I tuck the knife into my pocket, hastily grab a hoodie, and venture out into the night.

--------------------

I traverse the unfamiliar streets, oblivious to my destination. I inadvertently find myself on an unknown road, a surge of unease coursing through me. Muffled voices draw nearer, further agitating my already troubled state. Instinctively, I pull up my hood and lower my gaze, determined to avoid any encounters.

Yet, as I draw closer, the words of the individuals become discernible amidst the clamor.

"Could you cease your incessant window-pounding?" one voice exclaims with an edge of anger.

"Why don't you come over here and make us?" retorts another, accompanied by laughter.

The universe conspires against me, denying respite in every form. I shuffle along the curb, my head bowed, attempting to avoid any unwanted entanglements.