-Chapter 9: A Troublemakers Troubles-

-Kris-

"Don't...call me that," I said with malice in my voice.

"What? Don't like your nickname?" Jessie joked.

"No," I snapped. "I don't. Please stop."

"Jess, now's not the time," I stepped in.

"What?" Jessie asked, confused. "I was just having some fun."

"Well, I don't think Red is the one to have fun with," I suggested.

"That's what she said," Jessie giggled.

"Oh, for fuck's sake," Zeke facepalmed. I saw a small smile crack for a moment.

I looked at my watch.

"Oh, fuck, we gotta go!" I shouted before grabbing onto Zeke's arm and pulling him along.

Reluctantly, he let me, and Jess followed behind, poking jokes at him all the way.

——————

"Lighten up, hotshot," Jess snickered.

Zeke said nothing and walked into the school building. I was starting to worry about him. His mood hadn't changed since he moved here.

"What's the matter, Krissy?" Jess asked. "You have worry all over your face."

"I-I think you should lay off the jokes for a bit," I said. I felt my heart speed up a bit. "At least with Zeke."

"Why?" She raised her eyebrow. "Don't tell me they actually get to him."

I looked away from her.

"Just watch what you say," I said before turning to follow Zeke's path.

Just then, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Kris, wait," Jessie said.

I turned to face her.

"I'm sorry if I hurt him," she said sincerely. "I know he's had a tough couple of months ever since his friend died, along with you. I'll try to tone it down."

I smiled and gave her a big hug. "Thanks, Jessie."

Just then, the bell rang, and into the school, we went.

------------
-Cassie-

-A113-

I read the room number on the wall. This is where I needed to be. God, I hope nobody talks to me.

"Why, good morning!" the way too enthusiastic teacher said to me the moment my footsteps through the door. "Ms. Cassandra Rose Fletcher, I presume?"

I shuddered at the sound of my full name. I hate it. The sound of it makes me gag. It reminds me of things I'm not so proud of. Slowly, I turned to her and nodded before walking to the back of the room and sitting at the desk closest to the door. I put my head down and silently waited for the day to start.

After a few minutes of nothing but quiet, I heard the classroom door open and close. I looked up to see that Zeke boy from earlier.

"Good morning, Mr. Ezekiel Slater," the teacher beamed.

Oh shit. Of all classes, why did he have to be in mine?

I heard him scoff and walk my way. He seemed not to notice me until he was standing in front of the desk I was at. He looked down, rolled his eyes, and sat at the desk next to me, pulling out a notebook that seemed too pink for something a guy would own.

"For one, don't ever call me Ezekiel," he said, turning a page. I guess he caught me staring. "And second, is there something you need?"

He sounded annoyed, so I shook my head and looked away.