Chapter 9/Secrets

"Hargrove."

Without moving I looked up and see the same man that pulled me over that dreaded day, the man that has gotten me into this entire mess.

I slowly back away and glance back at Elizabeth who looks completely petrified. Her fragile hands grip onto the desk tightly.

"It's okay French Braids, its only Hopper." I said looking back at the Chief.

Hopper glances at Elizabeth with a somewhat worried face. "I need to speak with you before you leave tonight." The Chief said looking at me then gazes at Elizabeth for a second. "Look I know Officer Callahan and Powell are out doing their rounds right now, but that doesn't mean you can sit on your ass all day and patronize Callahan's daughter." Hopper explained.

"Yes sir." I stated trying to sound respectful.

"Miss. Callahan, will you need a ride home?" The Chief asked her in a polite way any gentleman should.

French Braids got off the desk she was leaning on and turned to face Hopper. "No I should be okay, I just have to stop by the library before I head back home." Elizabeth replied with a small smile.

"Well I'm sure Billy can take you there instead of you having to walk." Hopper offered me up as an option.

"NO!" We said simultaneously.

Hopper furrowed his eyebrows confused. "Why not?" He asked clearly interested most likely because he just walked in on us about make out on top of her Father's desk.

"Well I like walking." Elizabeth explained awkwardly.

I stare at her with a 'really that's the best you can do' look and with a hint of disgust. Honestly though who says that. I resist the urge to roll my eyes as I come up with a believable excuse.

"You need to talk to me." I said. "Remember you said you wanted to speak with me before my shift is over." I stated quickly.

Hopper glances between us for a minute then sets his cold gaze on me.

"You're right." He answered. "Well have a safe trip home Miss. Callahan." The Chief said nodding at her.

"Yes thank you Chief Jim Hopper." She smiled nodding at him as well.

"Okay, Hargrove lets go." Hopper said leading the way to his office.

Before I had a chance to get away I feel the same hands that I lightly touched before grip onto my wrist tightly. I turned around looking past French Braid's round glasses and staring at her in her brown eyes, that once took my ability to think straight before. When she didn't say anything I shook my head at her waiting for her to tell me what she needs from me. She pressed her lips into a fine line and without warning she tugged onto my arm and pulled me down close to her face.

"What are you going to say?" She whispered nervously her hot breath heating my cheek up.

A small smirk found its way onto my face. "Don't worry French Braids...," I grabbed a strand of one of her short hairs moving it away from her eyes, "I got this."

Elizabeth's grip loosened the minute I touched her hair which gave me the chance to walk away.

I left French Braids alone in the station entering Chief Hopper's office. Hopper sat behind his desk with his hat now placed on his desk instead on it usually resting on his head. He had lit a cigarette and was already halfway done with it. I sit down across from him letting out a small sigh.

"Hargrove why are you here?" He asked vaguely.

I scrunched up my eyebrows confused. "What do you mean? You said you wanted to see me?"