Chapter 30/Coca-Cola

It was five o'clock when I made it back to Elizabeth's house and I stayed parked. I couldn't take her out tonight. I don't want her to get mixed up into my life. Just for the next few days we can't be together. That's why I got her flowers. I don't want to be a complete let down. I don't want to be a let down at all for my queen, but I love her too much to risk it. I finally got out of my car and went up the steps to her front door. I hid the flowers behind my back knowing she will probably love the surprise then rang the doorbell. I waited for a moment. Then another moment. I rang the doorbell again.

"Coming!" I heard French Braids shout. I licked my lips quickly then pressed them into a thin line. The door swung open and I almost got knocked out by the view.

From toe to head: Elizabeth had beige Mary Janes on and white crew socks with a little ruffle on the ends. Her skirt was plain white and had a decorate trim on the edge. Elizabeth wore a pink cropped blazer buttoned up showing the smallest amount of cleavage. Her hair was in two French braids then stopped at her neck tied off into pigtails with white ribbon. Her smile was small she was trying to hide it.

"Hey." I breathed.

"Hi B." The moment she said 'B'. I pulled the flowers out from behind my back. Her mouth gapped open showing off her beautiful red lips. Oh how I wanted to kiss them again. "For me?" She touched her hand to her chest. The fact that she had to ask made me laugh slightly. I pushed them towards her telling her yes silently. She took them, but before she could say anything else I had to ruin the moment.

"I can't stay." I admitted. "I mean we can't hang out tonight." French Braids eyes completely changed as if she was no longer living. The life in her eyes drained out.

"W-What?" She choked out.

"Something has happened and we can't be together." I explained vaguely. Elizabeth eyebrows stitched together as if she was angry. "Just not tonight." I added. French Braids eye shot back up to my blue ones.

"Oh just tonight." Elizabeth let out a big breath. The air settled and French Braids shifted in the spot she was standing. "May I ask why?" She said timidly avoiding eye contact. I stared at her waiting for her to make eye contact. Why did she seemed scared? Before I asked if she was scared I remember the words that I read in her diary this morning,

'I know the second I let him do that, he will be done with me.'

I could never be done with Elizabeth. I can't get enough of her.

I sighed before answering. She deserves an explanation.

"Susan took Max and left."

"What?" French Braids eyes went as big as dish plates. All in one motion Elizabeth set the flowers on the table by the door and placed her grip on the sleeve of my leather jacket and pulled me inside. She shut the door and guided me back into the room where we were less than twenty-four hours ago.

"Neil he-he hurt Maxine." Elizabeth gasped and her hands flew over her mouth and nose.

"No." She whispered.

"So Susan took her and they left. I don't know where they are going and I told them not to tell me. It's better if I don't know. That way Neil can't find them."

"Is Max okay?" She asked her eyes darting off in every direction trying to process what I have said.

"Yes. She is okay." She is only okay. I hate myself for letting this happen. I shouldn't have been gone for that long. I shouldn't of left. I seem to be making the same mistake with everyone I care about.

"Oh my god B." I heard her voice shake. I shook my head and kept my eyes down in my lap. Suddenly, I felt small arms wrapping around me. My eyes went wide as Elizabeth held me tightly. Why is she? Why is she hugging me? Too stunned by the gesture I stayed frozen. "It's okay Billy it's not your fault." How could she read my thoughts so easily? After I accepted the warmth her body provided I decided to return the embrace.