Chapter 31/48 Hours

Elizabeth POV

Why the hell is Steve at my house and at this time of night?

I had my hand on the knob, but did not turn it.

"Why is he here?" Billy asked me now rising from the couch.

"You think I know." I widened my eyes slightly at him. I twisted the knob and opened it. Steve rose his head and looked at me with worried eyes. His long hair fell back and he had his hands in his jean pockets.

"Steve?" I said like I didn't look through the peephole and just found out it was him at the door.

"Hey...Elizabeth." He said slowly and I looked at Billy in my peripheral vision.

"Can I help you?" I asked just wanting him to leave.

"Uh actually, yeah." He licked his lips. "Billy's here?" He asked even though I know he knew the answer. Billy's car is hard to miss. "I need to speak to him."

"Why?" Steve and Billy aren't exactly friends so I am not going to let him in unless Billy wants me to.

"It's important." He said seriously. I squinted my eyes at him not trusting him yet. "Come on Liz." I shivered at the nickname bringing back...memories. "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't." He added. I glanced at Billy and he looked confused, but angry. His eyebrows were stitched together and he nodded.

"Okay." I stepped aside to let him inside. Steve gave a short smile and the worried look came back. Billy stared at Steve as Steve looked around to find him. When they connected eyes they just stared for a moment.

"Uh can..." Steve trailed off and looked back at me.

He wanted to talk to him privately. What could this be about that I couldn't be apart of?

I looked at Billy wanting to know if he was okay with me leaving them alone. He didn't have to nod just his look told me everything.

"I'll be in my room." I dashed up the stairs. I felt their eyes on me and knew that they wouldn't start talking till I shut my door. I sighed my hands on the door slightly leaning on it.

What is going on? I paced the room. Steve and Billy aren't really friends...are they friends now? Did I miss something?What could have happened that could of sever their ties of competition? I started to deeply think about all the times I had seen Billy and Steve interact. The baseball tryouts:

Steve and Billy threw the ball back and forth...they chatted. They worked well during tryouts it was a good idea for them to be co-captains. They even talked after the tryouts. They did not seem aggressive either time.

The party:

Steve took Billy away from the party and said he'd take him home.

They must of over come their differences...somehow. Hard to think that two teenage boys could do that.

Could they be talking about me...? I really hope Billy didn't hear Steve call me Liz. However, I think the anger that was on Billy's face proves that he did hear it. He doesn't know that it doesn't mean anything. Steve and I were together for less than 48 hours. The morning after Billy and I slept together I broke up with him. I just told Steve that we jumped in too fast and that I rather just have friends than a boyfriend. I can't imagine what he thought the second I came to school hanging on Billy's arm. Steve only called me Liz because when we first met he asked me if he could call me that. He was flirting and...I did flirt back. We kissed once and that was it. Weird to think about that now, but I was the new girl, he was popular and what new girl doesn't want the attention of the popular boy. I guess the nickname stuck...I like French Braids much better. I smiled to myself. But only if it comes out of the mouth of Billy Hargrove.

I'm in love with him I just don't know how or when to tell him. What if he doesn't love me back? I know that based on our conversation the other night...there is a big chance that he does love me, but he isn't sure. He said he thinks he is falling in love with me. That can change. I don't know if I can admit to him that I have already fallen. I literally have already dove off the deep end head first and if he doesn't catch me...than that is it for me. I don't know why I put so much trust into him. Trust and love are different, but you can't have one without the other. I started to fall in love with him, then I trusted him now I'm in love with him.

"Are you fucking crazy!?" I heard Billy shout.

"Oh no." I said to myself. I opened the door quickly and made my way to the top of the stairs wondering if I needed to intervene yet.

"Why are you yelling at me? I thought I was doing the right thing!" Steve shouted back.

"The right thing!" Billy stopped. "It would have been okay, but now..." Billy's voice was quiet and I tiptoed down a few steps trying to peek at them. I couldn't hear quite well now that Billy lowered his voice. What did Steve do that Billy is so angry about. "You need to leave." I heard the last few words of Billy's sentence.

"I can't leave you now. Not right after you told me."

"Yes you can." Billy said seriously. "Just go I can handle this. I have a hundred times over."

What has Billy been able to handle a hundred times over? Girls? Is he talking about me? No...he can't be. What does he mean by 'handle this'.

"Billy...what are you talking about?" My voice was quiet and soft. I was scared. Scared of what his answer would be.

"French Braids..." He whispered, but he looked at me as if I was a vulnerable child. "Steve please." Steve looked at us anxiously.

"You better not make me regret this Hargrove." He said so serious it didn't even sound like him anymore. Steve left, but I didn't take my eyes off Billy.

"What is going on?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shout out to @AshleyWhisnant for being the first to vote on the first chapter of the series finale!

Don't forget to...

Vote!

Comment!

Follow!

Share!

Love you beautiful!

XOXO

P.K.