F O U R

evelyn
i think i've seen the wolf before

ivy
what do you mean?

evelyn
the wolves, from the park.
i think i've seen one of them before

ivy
where?

evelyn
outside my window. it was the night of my birthday, when i had come back home from yours. i never told you this but that night i had bumped into a man on the trail. he had whispered something strange..

ivy
what did he say?

evelyn
he said mine

- • -

"He said mine?"

"Yep. I hadn't thought anything of it but now, after what just happened with the wolves, I can't stop thinking about it. And I swear I keep seeing him everywhere I go."

"The man or the wolf?"

"Both."

"Really?" Ivy said, shutting her locker and swinging her bag onto her left shoulder.

"Yeah, really. It's weird. I never see them together either, it's always one or the other."

"You don't think..?"

Evelyn started to laugh. "What, that he was a werewolf? Werewolves are make-believe Ivy, you know that as well as I do."

Ivy shrugged, walking along the hallway next to Evelyn. "I don't know what to believe anymore, especially after yesterday."

The two girls made their way to the parking lot, dodging the other students who were also trying to leave the school.

"Want to go to Nick's?" Evelyn asked, hopping into the drivers side of her Honda Accord.

"Sounds good," Ivy responded, getting into the passengers seat. "I could go for a milkshake."

- • -

After ordering two chocolate milkshakes and a basket of fries to share the girls moved into one of the two people booths. Sitting across from each other, they began talking about how excited they were to graduate.

"Can you believe we only have a month left until graduation?"

"Not at all, I'm so ready to be done with high school."

Evelyn nodded in agreement, smiling up at the waiter when he set their milkshakes and fries down on the table. "Thank you!"

The girls sat in silence for a bit, sipping their milkshakes while munching on fries. The bell on the diner door jingled and Evelyn looked up, almost choking on the fry she was eating once she saw who had just entered the popular eatery.

"Ivy," she murmured. "Ivy it's him."

"What?"

"Behind you. The guy who just entered. He's the one who I bumped into on the trail, the one who's been watching me."

Ivy turned around to look at the guy when Evelyn suddenly kicked her underneath the table.

"Ow! What the fudge was that for?!"

"Don't look at him! He'll see us." Evelyn whispered. Ivy snorted.

"Honey if he's been following you around I bet he's already seen you. It's probably why he's here."

Evelyn shuddered, taking a quick peek at the man who was sitting at the counter. Ivy looked over her shoulder, taking in the guy who's been accused of stalking her best friend.

"He's fit," Ivy spoke nonchalantly.

"Ivy!" Evelyn exclaimed, sending her friend a pointed look.

"What? He is!"

Evelyn watched as the guys shoulders shook, almost like he was laughing to himself. There was no way he could hear their conversation, right?

"I think I'm ready to go."

"Oh come on Ev! Just go talk to the guy."

"What would I even say?"

Ivy shrugged. "I want some onion rings. Go up to the counter and order me some, see if he does anything."

"Why can't you just do it?"

"I'm not the one he's stalking, duh."

Evelyn rolled her eyes before grabbing the five dollar bill Ivy had put on the table. "You owe me some of your onion rings."

The young girl got up and made her way over to the counter, right next to where her mysterious stalker was sitting.

"Hey Nick, can we get some onion rings?"

"Course Ev, anything for my two favorite customers."

Evelyn smiled at the older man, sliding the five dollar bill across the counter.

"Fancy seeing you here, princess," the man next to her spoke up. Evelyn stiffened before turning to the guy, still having to look up at him even though he was sitting and she was standing.

"Hello," she whispered, turning back to face forward.

"You know, I don't think I ever caught your name sweetheart."

"That's because I haven't given it to you."

"And why is that?"

"You never asked."

"Well, I'm asking now."

"Evelyn."

"Nice to meet you princess."

Evelyn shivered, smiling at Nick once he slid the thing of onion rings her way. "Thanks Nick!"

"No problem Ev, you and Ivy take care now. Come back and see me soon."

"Of course."

Evelyn took the basket of rings back to their table, setting them down before grabbing one and shoving it into her mouth.

"Jeez, what happened?"

"He asked for my name," Evelyn said, shoving another onion ring into her mouth.

Ivy snorted. "That's it?"

Evelyn glared at her. "He also used these annoying nicknames that made me feel weird. Actually, I feel weird just being in his presence."

Ivy raised her eyebrows. "Still wanna deny the whole werewolf-mate thing?"

"There's no such thing as werewolves, Ivy. They're mythical creatures."

"Whatever you say Ev."