T H R E E

It had been days since Evelyn had bumped into the mysterious guy in the woods. She had kept it to herself, not wanting to push the punishment she was given even more. Though, ever since that night, Evelyn felt like there was always someone watching her.

After getting ready for the day, Evelyn made her way downstairs to where her parents were already eating breakfast at the table.

"Good morning Evelyn."

"Good morning mother, father," Evelyn responded with a small smile. She took a plate from the counter and filled it with toast, eggs, and fruit before pouring some orange juice into a glass. Evelyn took her plate and glass and sat down at the table with her parents.

"Any plans for the day?" Her father asked, taking a sip of his coffee.

"I was planning on going to the park. If that's okay, of course."

Evelyn watched as her parents shared a look, silently discussing on whether they'd let her leave by herself or not. After a few seconds her father cleared his throat before speaking.

"See if Ivy will go with you, your mother and I would prefer you don't go alone."

"Yes father," Evelyn murmured, finishing her breakfast. Collecting her plates she set them in the sink before making her way upstairs to text her friend.

- • -

"Thanks for coming with me!" Evelyn chirped, skipping her way through the flower field that led up to the playground.

"No problem!" Ivy laughed, following after Evelyn with just as much energy. The two girls had loved going to the park together when they were younger. "I brought my camera with me! I haven't been able to take some decent pictures in awhile."

"Oh, yay!" Evelyn smiled. "Should we go to the swings first?"

"Yeah, sure! Let's go!"

The park was unusually empty, leaving the playground open for the two teenagers to act like kids again without any judgement.

"I've missed doing this," Evelyn sighed. She sat on one of the swings, slowly moving back and forth while looking out at the lake.

"Me too," Ivy murmured. Moving slowly on the swing next to Evelyn's. The two girls hadn't been to the park since they were about seven.

"Oh my gosh, Ivy look!" Evelyn gasped, pointing out at the field of flowers. There in the field stood two gigantic-looking wolves, both of them watching the two girls with curiosity.

The larger one was staring straight at Evelyn while the somewhat smaller one stared right at her best friend.

"What do we do?" Ivy whispered, slowing down her movements so the swing came to a complete stop.

"I-I don't know," Evelyn stuttered. "Why are th-they staring at us l-like that? W-what if they k-kill us?"

"Shh Ev, it's okay. Calm down. Just take deep breaths."

Tears slowly rolled down Evelyn's cheeks as she tried to breathe. "I-I don't want to d-die."

"Eve, hey, shhh. I don't think they're gonna kill us."

"Y-you don't?"

"No," Ivy said, shaking her head. "They would have already."

The tears continued to fall from Evelyn's eyes as she shook, watching as the two wolves approached her and her best friend. The first wolf slowed, noticing the tears running down her face. It slowly bowed its head and laid itself on the ground, letting out a whimper.

"I think it wants you to go to it Ev," Ivy whispered. Evelyn shook her head and the wolf whimpered again, this time a little louder. "Go, I don't think it will hurt you."

Hesitantly Evelyn got up from her seat on the swing, slowly making her way toward the wolf with shaking hands. Once she reached it she just stood there, shaking. The wolf slowly stood and Evelyn gasped as it nudged her hand with its snout. Carefully, she moved her fingers through its soft fur slowly sinking down onto her knees.

Evelyn brought her other hand up, running it up and down the wolf's back. She looked at it curiously, just as the wolf had looked at her earlier. That was when she remembered the second wolf. Quickly she turned around, only to find Ivy and the other wolf in the same position as her.

- • -

It felt as if hours had passed even though it was only minutes. At the sound of other voices making their way toward the park, the two wolves instantly stood up from the warm embraces of their mates and left in a flash.

Evelyn and Ivy turned to look at each other, confused as to what had just happened. Never in their lives would they have thought they'd ever get that close to a wolf. Especially ones that were as large as those two.

The girls stood from the field and quietly made their way back to their respective houses, contemplating everything their parents had ever told them about wolves the entire way.