T W O

"Be safe Eve! Text me when you get home!" Ivy said, waving goodbye.

"Of course," Evelyn promised. "If I don't I give you full permission to murder me the next time you see me."

Ivy smiled, "I'll hold you to that."

Evelyn waved once more before turning around to start the short walk back to her house through the forest. It was nearing one in the morning and it had gotten significantly darker out.

"Why didn't you just accept the invitation to spend the night Evelyn," she muttered angrily to herself.

As she walked along the trail Evelyn kept her eyes on her feet, not bothering to look forward as she figured no one else would be walking around the forest at this ungodly hour of night.

"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry!" Evelyn gasped out, apologizing to the man she had just knocked into. Wow. How wrong was she for thinking no one else would be out.

"Mine," He muttered his breath.

"Sorry?" Evelyn asked, unsure if he had just said what she thought he did.

The man shook his head smiling. "Don't worry about it." Evelyn looked up, having to crane her neck quite a bit considering how tall he was compared to her. The darkness didn't help much either even though the trail was still fairly well lit.

"Are you sure?" She asked softly, wringing her hands together as she looked back down.

"Positive."

"Now, tell me princess. What's a good little girl like you doing out here all alone at this hour?"

Evelyn blushed at the nickname, "I-I'm just walking home." Taking a quick peek at her phone, she gasped when she saw multiple missed phone calls from her mother. "Oh pickles, I-I have to go! Sorry again!"

And with that Evelyn rushed off, not bothering to look behind her even though she knew the man was watching her every footstep.

- • -

"M-"

"No Evelyn! I told you not to leave the house!"

"But if you would jus-"

"Since when have you taken pleasure into going against what your father and I say?"

Evelyn sighed, knowing there was no point in arguing. She was already in enough trouble, no need to make her punishment worse.

"Well Evelyn? Are you going to answer my question?"

"Sorry, what was it again?"

She could hear her mother's annoyed sigh on the other side of the phone, clearly upset she wasn't paying attention.

"Did you meet anyone on your way to Ivy's or back, Evelyn?"

A blush spread across Evelyn's cheeks as she remembered her encounter with the tall man. A shiver ran across her spine and she cleared her throat.

"No, I didn't."

"Good. That's good, Evelyn. Are all the doors and windows shut and locked?"

"Yes mother."

"Good. Your father and I will discuss your punishment with you when we return from our trip. Goodnight Evelyn."

"Goodnight mother," Evelyn murmured before pressing the red end button on her phone. After sending a quick text to Ivy, Evelyn put her phone into her back pocket and made her way upstairs to her bedroom.

Evelyn stripped herself from her clothes before pulling on a new pair of underwear, a pair of leggings, and an oversized t-shirt. She then made her way into her bathroom where she brushed her teeth, washed her face, and combed out her hair.

Entering her room again, Evelyn walked over to her window. She looked up into the sky where the full moon was shining brightly. Then, out of the corner of her eye, she could've sworn she saw something moving in the bushes. It stopped before she could get a full look so the girl shrugged, blaming the unusual movement on her being tired.

She pulled the curtains together before hopping into bed and falling asleep.

- • -

hello! thank you all for being so patient with me. i'm currently in university so my time to write is very limited but i do write whenever possible. summer is coming up fast so i will definitely start posting more chapters then.

but, since today is my birthday (woohoo!), i decided to give you all a little present. i hope you enjoyed the first two chapters of evelyn, see you all again soon!

- emma