Chapter Twenty-Seven

"You may leave," the teacher that was "watching" us during detention, told us in pure monotone. He didn't look up once during the whole hour we were forced to sit here. He just sat there, reading his book. Then again, what else was he supposed to do?

I almost didn't hear him, I was too focussed on Daniel. I was going to win him back, make him see that we were meant to be. Daniel, who sat two rows in front of me, shot upright and headed straight for the door. I tried to follow him, but Erik blocked my way. He had been sitting next to me, Addie on my left. 

"Hey, I was thinking maybe you, me, and Addie can go see a movie or something tonight?" He scratched the back of his neck, inadvertently flexing his biceps at me. I was too distracting, trying to look around him at Daniel. "I've been craving popcorn for a while now," he added when I didn't say anything.

I dropped my shoulders and stared up at him. Was he purposely blocking my view of Daniel? He gave me a sly smirk. He did! I put my backpack on, wincing at the weight. I tried not to notice how Erik rarely ever had a backpack at school. 

"Sure," I finally say. Daniel's gone. "Maybe after the meeting tonight." I almost forgot that my job was to convince Erik there was a meeting. Ivelyn called an emergency "meeting" because of the fight between her and Giu. 

He nods and then takes a step to the side, gesturing for me to go forward. Sure, now he moves, now that Daniel is long gone. Today was my last chance to talk to Daniel -- detention was over. It was Friday and I wouldn't see him until Monday. Unless he was coming to Erik's Surprise Party. Except, that I couldn't see Daniel showing up to Erik's party. They still hated each other -- that hadn't changed, only intensified. 

"I'm gonna ride with Ivelyn, see you guys at the meeting," Addie called over her shoulder, then jogged up ahead where Ivelyn, Mir, and Kate were standing. They waited by the door, then left us alone. I sighed. 

"Um, I have to go home first, then do you wanna ride there together?" I had drive my car this morning and Erik had driven his bike. It was still a drizzling mess outside. I don't know how Erik drove his motorcycle in the rainstorm that was going on. 

"Okay," he nodded and we departed. By the time it took me to get to my car, Erik had already taken off on his bike. It roared to life and up the hill, out of the parking lot. He needed to be more careful. 

He worried me. 

Of course, he beat me to my house. He sped worse than Ivelyn did and that was saying something. His bike was in my driveway, standing, even more, intimidating in the rain. Erik wasn't by his bike. I half jogged to his bike, looking around. 

Where the Hell did he go? I even looked up in the trees, wondering if for some reason he shifted. Nothing. After a good solid five minutes of looking, I finally went inside. Maybe Gran knew where he was.

"Gran, have you seen Erik? I think I lost him." I called into the house.

"Hey, C, uh your Gran--

"Call me Evanora." I followed their voices, finding them in the kitchen. Of course, Gran had poured Erik and her a cup of tea. When she said this, she patted his hands. Erik smiled. I don't think he was used to affection like that. From the small encounter I had with his grandma, Avarae, I didn't think she was the hugging and holding type.

"ha-ha," his laugh sounded different. "Evanora invited me to tea." I bet he never thought he would say that sentence. It made me laugh, seeing Evan in full black-clad sitting next to my Gran sipping tea. He hadn't taken his motorcycle jacket off and my Gran was wearing layers of lace and chiffon in pastel purple. 

It was a funny sight.

"I bet she did," It wasn't uncommon for my Gran to invite my friends inside. I had a feeling Erik didn't put up much of a fight this time. I was going to cut him some slack since it was his birthday.