Chapter Nineteen

Right as I am about to fall asleep, I get a vision. I open my eyes and am seeing through someone else's eyes. It feels familiar. 

I look around the room and recognize the spiral staircase. The two boys are in front of me, spying in on that room full of adults. I know this is a vision because my head is throbbing in pain. Plus, I have no control over my body. 

The girl moves towards the boys. She flicks the blonde on his shoulder. 

"Ow," he rubs the spot on his shoulder. It shouldn't have hurt him. The girl was a couple of years younger than him and much smaller. 

"You're not supposed to spy on father." It's the first time I notice she has an accent. She's British? 

The boys look at each other.

"Neither are you." The blonde responds back. He too has a British accent. Where am I?

"I came to find you guys. Look!" Her hands move forward and in them is a small black snake. I shiver, but she doesn't. For whatever reason, I am seeing things through her point of view, which means I can hear some of her thoughts and feel her emotions. This is why I know she's showing them to freak them out. She doesn't like these boys, but they're her brothers.

Samuel is blonde and he's three years older.

Jonathan has the black floppy hair and he is two years older than her. 

"Oh, God, what is that?" Samuel cringes, shooing her away. He doesn't like snakes, bugs, or anything that crawls. He doesn't even like his own familiar a badger he named Maske. 

"It's my familiar. I'm going to name her Ardyce." She strokes the snakes adoringly. She's very proud of her familiar. She had been dreading this process ever since Jonathan received his familiar, two years ago. Everyone kept talking about how Jonathan was the youngest to receive his familiar and how wonderful it was his was a Hawk. She knew she would show them all that she was the strongest Locke there was.

She was, after all the only girl in their generation. It meant she was stronger. She had a lot to prove. So, by having a familiar definitely won her points. Especially because it was a snake and a venomous snake such as Ardyce. She had never loved anything as much as she loved Ardyce. As her stubby fingers brush the scales, she felt the train of thoughts that filled Ardyce. They had a deep connection. 

"Aren't you afraid she's going to bite you?" It was a stupid question. Everyone knew that Familiars couldn't hurt their Witch. It was an equal partnership. They were connected, pieces of each other created a full soul. 

"Don't be so dull--

"Elizabeth, don't be rude to your brother." Elizabeth, that was her name. Her mood went dark and the thoughts that I heard coming from her were not good. She hated her mother. She thought she was weak for not fighting alongside her father. 

Her mother wore a dress with bishop sleeves. They were full with long sleeves that gathered into cuffs at her wrists. Elizabeth stared in disdain. She truly hated her mother. I could tell by the white-hot anger that filled her. 

"What do you have there?" Her mother clasped her hands together, under her breast, close to her chest. It was a common stance she took, especially when faced with Elizabeth. The two of them didn't get along. The mother obviously favored Samuel. She never put her back towards Elizabeth.

"It's Ardyce," Elizabeth's voice held no emotion. She was trying not to push out her bottom lip. "My Familiar." She held the snake towards her. Her mother knew how important Familiars were, so she wouldn't dare try to take it away from her, but she was still afraid she might try. Ardyce hissed at Elizabeth's mother through her fingers.