Chapter Twelve

"Ivelyn, what do you think you're doing? This isn't that kind of party." I hissed, teeth nearly barred. She looked annoyed and crossed her arms over her exposed chest. Kate moved forward. She was wearing a navy blue shirt-dress that fell below her knees. Of course, she wore flats. Her hair was straightened and she was wearing a touch of makeup.

"Obviously, it is. Your Gran personally invited me and my loud music, so back off." The last two words were a clear order. I grit my teeth and stood down. If Ivelyn had gotten my Gran's permission, then who was I to stand in the way. It was New Year's Eve and most of the town was at our house. It wasn't like anyone was going to complain about the noise.

Plus, if I knew my Gran, she had this place charmed for noise protection.

"Hey, Corn!" This came from Mir, who looked bubbly as ever. She wore a pastel pink slip dress, revealing every curve she had. Her dress also fell past her knees. She was wearing strapped silver shows. Her hair was down, in bouncing curls. She leaned forward and hugged me.

As quickly as she touched me, I calmed. That was the point. Whenever Mir touched someone, she had the ability to calm them. It was nice when needed, but annoying when she sprung it on you. Me, being the freak I was, could tell when she used her power on me and could reject it.

It wasn't just Mir's power I could do that too, it was any Witch. Well, so far the Witches I had come in contact with. It was what made Ivelyn so annoyed with the very idea of me. Although, Ivelyn being Ivelyn made sure I was in her coven and not against her. She was so vain it was incredible.

"Hey, Mir, how are you?" I was basically yelling, just so she could hear me over the music.

"I'm great, are you feeling better?" She meant if I was calmer. I nodded, which made me smile more. Mir was the most innocent person I had met, but it was charming. I wished more people were like her. She saw the world in such a lense I truly envied.

"A little, thank you." We talked a little more. Then, I decided I should mingle some more. I was one of the hosts. I started making my way through the maze of people that filled the living room. There was a lot of kids from school here.

Thankfully, when I made my way to the living room there were adults. Surprisingly, the second the door shut behind me, the sound from the music almost completely dissipated. I had been right about Gran using magic to quiet the house. I was proud, my Gran was such a badass.

Quickly, I found my mom and Zack. They were seated at the end of the able, sipping vigorously at champagne. Zack was wearing a flannel (no shocker there) and dress pants. My mom and he had rosy cheeks. When she saw me she sobered up in record time.

"What are you doing in here? Shouldn't you be with your friends?" My mom seemed almost offended I wasn't with people my own age. Zack nodded. I said a quick hello.

"I am just passing through, trying to be hostess-like," I explained. She nodded and gestured to a couple of bubbly blondes.

"This is Jessica and Quinn Abernathy, they' re--

"Mir's parents. Yeah, I would recognize those curls anywhere." I made small talk with them, bragging about Mir's ability to help me in the gym. I told them how she was hands down the nicest person I knew. It seemed to really make their day. When I left for the kitchen, I felt somber.

From what Ryan had told me, Mir's parents were so distraught over James (Mir's uncle) death they begged their Coven to wipe their memory clean. They had no idea they were Witches or that their daughter was one too. I found out Mir had an older sister and a younger brother. I found that extremely interesting, mostly because Mir never talked about either of them.