Chapter 14

Firstly this is just going to be a short one and I apologize. I haven't really had time to write thanks to the pressure of school. But I will try to have a chapter out every now and again. So enjoy the story! Comment, vote, and add this story please! Also if you want leave a comment of what you think about our main character Zartiyil. Like do you hate or like her? Why? And how do you feel about her actions towards others? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zartiyil’s POV

My hand tightened around Odette’s own much smaller hand as if some part of my body wanted her not to go too far. It must just be because of her age. No matter the species my Mama always taught me to be fair and kind to all young ones.

“Are you hungry?” Her tiny voice spoke out breaking away from her talk of the beautiful rainbows. I look down at her and smiled. She was just too cute, for a human. The way her eyes wrinkled when she gave a big smile to show her joy.

“I could use some food in my stomach.” I replied tightening my grip yet again. Hopefully, little Odette doesn’t mind my vice grip of a hand.

Odette smiled and began at a running pace down what seemed to be a main hallway, unlike the ones I had taken with Minnie earlier to get to the market. These were…how do I say it? Much more royal and elegant than the simple stone walls of the other halls. These halls had banners of red and gold hanging from the walls.

When we reached the end of the hall we met a gigantic door with golden handles. Odette ran up and tried with all her might to push them open, but they are just too heavy I guess. I gaze dotingly at her tries and sneak up behind her, giving the doors a good push and they swung open.

“Odette darling about time you-” The voice stopped mid-sentence and I looked up to see Lord David, the one who was in charge of this land. I hadn’t seen him since I first woke up.

“Oh Princess Zartiyil. Good to see you up and moving.” He greeted with a forced smile of kindness to cover up the fear I could smell that was dripping off of him. The metal men got a little closer to their Lord and gazed at me. Through the metal I could not tell what their expressions were but I could only guess it was weariness.

“Yes, Minnie took me around to show me the land after you left. I must admit, for a lesser world, this place has it perks. Yet it still doesn’t compare to my home.” I replied getting my cruel façade back on. No way would I act as if I were on the same level as this man. Something doesn’t feel right about him. Like he believes he is better than everybody but does not have a mark to prove it.

“Lesser world?” Little Odette grasped my hand to get my attention and look up with her eyebrows furrowed. 

“That is only a statement my dear small one. I merely say it is a lesser world compared to my home.” I tried to explain not going much into detail.

“Your home? What are you Princess of?” Her voice had that same curious nature I could find in a baby dragon when they asked questions.

“Dragons. I am Princess of Dragons.” I answer back simply while giving her another doting smile as earlier.

Her reaction however was much different than I expected. And also much worse than I had hoped. She slid away from my hand as I smelt true fear from her. Her eyes widened and she began to back away shaking as she did. On her backwards retreat she tripped and fell onto her bottom. When I made a move to help her she panicked.

“No! Stay away from me! I said stay away! Not come near me! Go away! Away!” She made hand motioned as if shooing a nightmare and got back to her feet. She then ran to Lord David and wrapped her small arms around his legs.

“Uncle David, make her go away! Make her go now! I don’t want her here anymore!”  Odette pleaded and begged to Lord David who only picked her up and tried to calm her.

I approach her again stretching my hand out, “Little one why are you-” Only to have her smack it when I got close. I hardened my look at her. I can take words, but even baby dragons know to never physically harm another in a mean way. If they did they were punished. I understood she was angry but when one tries to speak and you do not like that doesn’t mean you can simply hit them! Especially if they are royalty.

“Little Odette I demand that you look at me!” I snarled out while putting my fists on my hands and standing stronger. Odette didn’t comply. “Now!”

Odette jumped at my loud tone and turned in Lord David’s arms to meet my gaze.

“That’s better. Now I have no idea why you fear me know just because you know my title. I know you are human and will someday have your own try to kill my own. That does not mean I fear you or hate you. Now why do you fear me?” I demanded. Yet inside I knew I was acting a bit hypocritical, maybe I should take some of my own advice soon.

“You are the Princess Dragons. Dragons destroyed my home and killed my Mommy and Daddy!”  Odette yelled out with tears in her eyes. I frowned at her statement.

“So? I did not attack your home. Besides this is a war, there will be casualties. That cannot be stopped. Do not even think I haven’t lost ones I have loved in this war. Despite your fear and anger, there have been losses on both sides.” I finished and calmed myself.

“Really? Who?” Odette asked as she wiggled from Lord David’s arms and fell to the floor, then padded over to me.

“I lost my father before I knew him, my birthmother, and good friends over the years.” I admitted to her, although mentioning my birth mother took more force than I thought needed.

Odette reached for my hands and I squatted down so I could look her in the eyes. She took both my hands and placed small kisses on them as a show of forgiveness. I placed my hands on her cheeks and kissed her forehead.

“I guess we both have losses, and you must be as terrified of me as I am of you!” Odette smiled wide, then poked me on the nose. “Boo!”

I fake screamed and began to run away, Odette followed me giggling and sticking her hands out to get me.

“I’m going to get you!” Odette giggled as she picked up the pace.

“Oh no! Please oh mighty Odette, spare me!” I called back to her while trying to cover my mouth to muffle the laughs.

“Never!” Odette then tackled my legs and we both went down and rolled on the floor laughing our behinds off as Odette proceeded to tickle my exposed sides.

“That’s enough foolishness Odette. Time for supper.” Lord David called out from his seat at the table. Odette grinned and took a seat at the opposite end of the table than her Uncle. We spent the whole supper playfully bumping our feet together as we ate.

I guess no matter the species, children are the same. They have such simple ways of looking at life. In the same way when hurt they react quicker. I wonder how many other children would fear me in the memory of my people. I know humans are low some creatures; I was raised to only believe that. My life was based on that. At first I guessed some humans might not be all bad, but what of the children? Is Odette an exception? Or are all children innocent then turned into the lowly humans-I was taught to hate-by the everlasting war?