Chapter 2

Zoruta's P.O.V.

My wings beat furiously against the strong gusts of wind that was now helping me forward. I can’t believe I was doing this. I took a look down at the human child in my hands. I inwardly sighed as the child’s small hands rubbed all over the gigantic rough hands. The child sat up and stared at me with these big eyes. I almost felt my breath go away. They were the color of the Dragon Jewel.

“Beautiful.” The child stated with a smile on her face. She looked down and patted the rough texture of my hands. Why didn’t she shy away? Why hasn’t she tried to escape? Is something wrong with this human? Usually when humans see me they either run with fear, or attack with rage covering the fear. I’m sure they called us monsters, abominations, and make devils but never beautiful. Surely she must be talking about something else.

“What is beautiful? I am confused by you child.” Truthfully I was more amazed then confused at this point. Maybe she was talking about something else.

“You are silly! You are beautiful!” I mentally paused for a second. Did she just call me silly? Does this child even realize what I am? Who I am? Okay, maybe her mom dropped her on her head a couple times.

“Child I am not silly? How dare you speak me in such a way! Did your mother teach you manners?” The child then got a sad expression. I should’ve known then to bring up her mother. After all she had only lost her mother a few hours ago.

“She was always too busy. Busy with everything. She never had time for me, always praying and treating hurt peoples….” She lied down and curled up; pulling her legs in. “I guess she’s not my mama anymore.”

I hate to agree but she was right. Since her mother has passed she now has nobody by the looks of it. Her mother must’ve realized this that might be why she begged for me to take care of her. A child needs someone to look after them, they should never be alone. I do not know this woman fell, but I tell if I did, I would defiantly not like her.

Every young one needs a figure to look for. Someone to pick them up when they fall. To teach them right from wrong. I do not know where I would be right now if I didn’t have parents to raise me. Nobody can grow up correctly without a parental figure. If her mother wasn’t much of one then maybe me….?

No, no, no and no! That will not do! There is no way I can take in this human to raise! Humans are the reason why my father and my mate are no longer with me. They are villainous, evil beings who should be annihilated. I could just take care of her right now.

I paused in mid-flight. I had reached outskirts of the land I call home. It was a giant mountain with cliffs poking out all around it. Atop the mountain was the palace, where surely my brother would be waiting to congratulate me on a successful mission. I looked down and saw nothing but clouds. I am high enough, if I dropped the child right now. She would surely die on impact. Or maybe even before. On her own, the gravitational pull will surely crush her frail body.

I rolled her into one hand. I used my talons to carefully pick her by her dress. I held her right over the clouds. Just one movement and she would be gone. I could return and be welcomed as a hero. I could go back and be a mother to my darling son, who is probably awaiting me with eagerness.

If I just loosened my talons the slightest bit, she will be gone. I could return as if nothing happened. Life would be perfect. I’ve killed tons of humans by hand with no problem. Why should this one be any different? That makes sense, right?

I swallowed and began to loosen my talons till I saw her face look up and stare me in the eyes again. She had that same smile as before.

“Beautiful…” She repeated just like before. Is this child mentally ill? Here she is about to be dropped to her death by the very same creatures that have been killing her people. And all she can say is beautiful. I tilted my head to the side. The child mimicked me.

“Hmmm…” I say to myself.

“Hmmm…” The child is now mocking me! This human sure has some nerves, maybe it would be best if just went ahead and dropped her. I finally listened to my sense and let her go. She began to plummet towards the ground. I flapped a few times to turn myself in the direction of my home.

“Don’t look back. Don’t look back. Don’t look back.” But I still looked back. I watched as the child figure got smaller and smaller. I tuned in my hearing and sight to see her wave.

Beautiful.” Her words rang back into her head. I sighed and started flying towards her. I have a feeling I am going to regret this.

********

Sorry this was so short, kinda busy. By the way please please oh please comment! I am serious, comment. But remember the old saying, if ya don't have anything nice to say then just go away! Bye bye :)