Chapter 5

Zartiyil’s P.O.V.

I smiled and let the wind run thru my teeth. It felt weird and was probably quite strange to look at but for some reason I love! Just the feel of the wind makes me happy to be up here. Zoruta, which I now assume is my new mother, flies at an even pace and glides at times when the wind currents are right.

“Um, Mama?” I asked out loud trying with all my might for it come out strong. Instead more like a question under my breath. Either way I’m sure she heard me. For she almost paused in mid-flight and her eyes darted back to me.

“Yes Princess? Is something wrong?” She asked with a low grumble I noticed came when all the dragons spoke. But hers sounded like low wind-chimes and relaxed me.

“Where are you taking me?” I asked trying to slowly inch myself up her long neck to a better seating position.

“To my nest. Since my brother has given me the honor of raising you. You shall become part of my brood. For my first child had hatched early this morn when I went to lead an attack.” She explained to me, sounding wise with instinct. I never really had seen this with a lot of humans. They all learned from others. But somehow I knew that Zoruta had instinct not observation.

“Your first child? Does that mean I can see a baby dragon?” Oh a baby dragon! My heart trembled with delight. If they were this wonderful as adults; I’m sure as babies they will be adorable.

“Yes, his name is Zralor. It is custom for babies to have a letter or combination in their name to relate to their families. This is why my brother named you Zartiyil. It starts with the letter Z. As does my name, my mother’s, and my son’s. Can you see the pattern?” She asked me while she turned her attention back to flying.

We flew in silence for quite some time. It wasn’t a pleasant silence. Nor was it a weird silence. But almost sweet with a gentle question mark at the end. Is this how it supposed to feel to have a mother like her?

“We are approaching my nest! So hold on Princess! I am going to dive. On a tall mountain I could make out a rocky ledge with a circle of rocks on it. It was filled with straw. (That’s probably when they attacked they took the hay barrels) There was a tiny spot of gold running circles in the nest. Must be Zralor. 

Suddenly I felt my body shift as my new dragon-mother took a sudden change in directions and began a sharp dive. Her wings tucked in along with her arms and legs. She must look like a golden arrow piercing the sky. Right before she reached the nest she did a barrel roll to stop the wind pressure. I gripped tightly to not let myself be flung off while mid-spin.

I could a loud thump as I knew that she had landed just outside the ring of rocks that made her nest. I slowly slid off as she entered the nest. I could see the golden blur clearly now. It was a baby dragon. The wings looked kind of like wet paper and the head looked a little too big for its body. But it was the cutest thing I had ever seen.  He danced around my dragon-mother happily and nipped at her talons playfully. This resulted in a chuckle from his mother.

Suddenly Zralor’s attention was direction to me. He jumped over and got what looked like hunting or fighting position. He made low growling noises. But after a few times they squeaked and broke from the intimidation. I wanted to smile as Zralor got frustrated with his vocals.

“Zralor!” He suddenly stopped glaring at my and looking lovingly into the eyes of his mother. “Do not treat you sister and future Queen with such disrespect apologize now.” Zoruta ordered with a slight stamp of one of her feet.

Zralor made his way over to me looking defeated. He probably thought what all the others thought. That I was an enemy because I was human. But I could tell he was a momma’s boy. So to him mother must always be right.