X. WHAT HURTS THE MOST

ლ

DARYL WATCHED REMMI as she cried. He watched the entire family as they cried over the small boy. He felt sorry for her. He knew how she felt. Knowing his brother was dead, he knew that she felt guilty. The Dixon was good at reading people and Remmi was one of them.

She didn't wear her emotions on her sleeve, but he just knew how she felt. He couldn't explain it.

That next morning, everyone was doing their part in cleaning up the camp. It was around ten when talk of the CDC happened.

"What if we went to the CDC? The military would protect that place at all costs," Rick argued.

"But what about Fort Benning? There's food, guns, protection," Shane shot back.

The arguing had been going on for about an hour.

"Why don't the both of you just shut up? Can't we talk about this when we're not burying our people?" Ellie asked them. Her hands rested on her pregnant belly and a pair of sunglasses on her eyes to shield the sun. And to hide her puffy eye's.

Rick and Shane looked at one another, keeping quiet and moving on with what they where doing.

"Have you felt the baby since last night?" Remmi asked Ellie. One of the perks of having a doctor at camp was that she knew what she was talking about when it came to Ellie's pregnancy.

"No, I haven't. Andy tells me not to worry, but I can't help it..." She replied.

"Can I take a peek?" Ellie nodded as Remmi pulled out the infamous stethoscope and put it on the baby.

She tried to find a heartbeat, but it was hard. It was when she moved it all the way down, she heard it.

"She's all good Ell," Remmi told her. "Nothing to worry about. She's doing just fine. Just a little over a month now."

"Rem, can I ask you something?" Ellie asked, but before Remmi's could reply, shouting from Daryl Dixon and Andrew Tyler where being heard throughout the whole camp.

"Just put a bullet through her head and be done with it," Daryl told him.

"Yeah? That's what you would want, right?"

"Hell yeah. I'd thank your sorry ass why ya did it too," Daryl replied.

"That sure as hell isn't happening. Not to Amy and certainly not to my son," Andrew walked away after that. He walked to his tent and zipped it shut.

Ellie sighed before walking over there and going in.

"Ya get what I'm saying right?" Daryl asked Remmi.

Remmi just looked at him. "No, I don't."

Everyone had cleaned up what was left of camp. It was time for the funeral, but that wouldn't be the only funeral they would have over the next couple days.

Jaqui and Remmi had found that Jim, one of the men at camp, had been bit. There had been big talk over what to do, but in the end, Jim sat in the Rv with Carol.

As they walked down to the graves, Daryl looked at Remmi. He looked as she held a toy car in her hands. 

"You alrigh'?" He whispered.

Remmi looked up at Daryl with sad eyes. Her eyes where filled to the brim with tears.

"I'll be fine," She told him. A robot-response. A response she had practiced over the course of years with Derek and her co-workers.

I'll be fine. But in reality, she was not fine and she would never be fine. It seemed impossible to be okay when her nephew just died in her family's arms.

Therefore, she would never be really fine.

"Okay," Daryl muttered as she walked away towards Andrew, grabbing her brother's hand.

Daryl didn't know what to do. He had no clue as to why he felt the need to protect this girl when all she was, was a know-it-all doctor. But she wasn't and deep down, he knew that.

It was decided then that Daryl would avoid this girl at all costs. No matter what, he would ignore her. By asking if she was alright was getting too close in his mind.

But what he didn't know was that this girl was going to be wrapped around his finger. Whether he liked it or not.

*published

AUTHOR'S NOTE

this was really just a filler. next chapter I'll be skipping the talk of the CDC to the drive to the CDC.