I. PRESS PLAY

!IMPORTANT! NOTE AT
THE END OF CHAPTER

CHAPTER ONE : Press Play

HER SHOES SQUEAKED ON the freshly waxed floor. She was walking down the hallway, a stack of charts in her hand. It was mid-afternoon and Remmi Tyler had just started her shift at King's County Medical in Georgia. The twenty-eight year old had just started her fourth year of surgical residency.

Remmi walked down the long corridor, her fellow colleagues saying hello and asking how she was doing. A few even asked how the small town was treating her, being from Atlanta. She responded the same with everyone who asked.

"It's fine," She would say, "Just fine." Remmi would even throw in a smile if she needed to make herself more believable.  Six months ago the young woman moved to King's County to live with her brother, who was one of the town's deputy, and his wife and her nephew. For the first few months she was the talk of the town. Being a hot shot surgeon from Atlanta was gossip-worthy in this town.

Later she learned that every new thing was gossip-worthy in King's County.

Thus the young doctor made her way in and out of the rooms, checking in on her patients. Stopping at one of the few nurses' stations, she dropped off some of the charts that were placed in her hands.

"Dr. Tyler," Daniella, one of the nurses began, "You're needed for a consult in room 1229." Daniella handed her the chart for the patient and Remmi quickly looked it over, seeing that it was a coma patient. She noticed that the man, Rick Grimes, had a bullet lodged into his side. She checked his x-rays and scans before deciding that she wanted to get this done now.

Remmi nodded, "Okay, thanks Daniella," Dr. Tyler made her way down the hallway, passing rooms and people until she finally made it to room 1229. Knocking on the door, she heard a slight 'Come in,' before entering.

"Mrs. Grimes, this is Dr. Tyler, she will be operating on your husband this afternoon," Dr. Baker spoke.

Remmi shook the woman's hand. It was a short handshake and an even shorter introduction.

"I thought that he was fine... Now there's another bullet in him?"

Remmi immediately spoke up, "There's nothing to be worried about ma'am. Your husband's in good hands,"

"Do you promise?" Remmi turned her head to see a small child in the corner. She hadn't even noticed him until now.

"And who might you be?" She asked, giving a slight smile to young boy.

"I'm Carl. Are you gonna fix my dad?"

"My name's Remmi," She told him, "I'm gonna make him all better, there's nothing for you two to worry about,"

Dr. Baker nodded, "Dr. Tyler is one of our best,"

Ignoring Dr. Baker's statement, Remmi said, "I think we should do the surgery now though. Your husband's scans are showing some bleeding that I'd like to get more control over before it gets out of hand. Does that sound okay?"

"Just save my husband... Please," Mrs. Grimes begged the doctor.

"I'll do everything I can Mrs. Grimes," Remmi told the woman before calling nurses in to prep the man for surgery.

"He is getting better Mrs. Grimes, so I'm not entirely sure why he's not waking up. However we are running more tests,"

"Is there anything else you can do?" The wife asked the young doctor.

"Mrs. Grimes, I think we should talk about other options for your husband. Here at this hospital, we're very limited to what we can do here, so I would like to explore the option of sending him to Grady Memorial," Remmi explained. "It was the hospital I used to work at and I can guarantee your husband will be in great hand's there."

Lori Grimes took a long pause before responding, "Okay... If that's our best option, then let's do it," Lori wiped a few tears from her eyes before excusing herself to the restroom.

Remmi Tyler walked a few short feet to go and get the paperwork for Mrs. Grimes to fill out. Once it was all said and done, they prepared for her husband's departure two days from now.

Little did they know, two days would never come and Rick Grimes would never make it to Atlanta.

*published

UPDATE on 01/24/2023

you're probably wondering, dude what the freak are you doing here? it's been two years!!??

it's time to edit this series, that's whatsup!! i'm doing a whole revamp of this series in hopes i'll find the motivation to finish book three.

so expect a few updates here and there with minor editing. no major plot changes will occur, unless i find a plot hole then i'll fill it.

also, with all of this being said, i'm so grateful for every comment, every vote, and all the feedback i've received on this series.

Remmi & Daryl are honestly my two favorite characters i've ever written about. they're my little messed up children ;(

Remmi is also the first character i've ever truly created and i have so much love for her and the growth she's had over this series.

ah gosh, i'm going before i start to cry.

okay bye <3