II. PAINFUL

CHAPTER TWO : Painful

SHE HAD FOUGHT TOOTH and nail with her father over following in his footsteps. After all, he was a surgeon, and a successful one at that. Ultimately, she had chosen to please her father by giving in to becoming a surgeon, despite her brother's concern for her unhappiness in the profession.

Eventually, Remmi had learned to love her job. She even enjoyed the long hours she worked, regardless of what others would tell her about not having a life or enjoying herself outside of work.

She had preferred work over anything else. Nothing was more important to her than seeing the smiles on her patients face's when she told them that they, or even their loved ones, had made it through surgery.

It was a day after her coma patient came through surgery that it all went down. The smiles that once lay on her patient's faces turned to low moans. Their eyes turned a shade of sickly white, as their skin looked like a bad case of jaundice.

It wouldn't be until the later months that she realized she would need the degree she was practically forced to have.

Remmi was in Rick Grimes' room, she had been sitting there all morning, trying to catch up on her charts before she had to perform an appendectomy at noon. Hearing the door click open, Remmi looked up, seeing a man in an officer's uniform. She smiled at the man to which he returned it.

"Sorry ma'am, I didn't realize anyone was in here,"

"It's alright. I'm just catching up on some things," She made a move to get up before the man introduced himself.

"Shane Walsh, I, uh, I work with Rick,"

"Remmi Tyler, nice to meet you. I can get out of your way if you want some privacy–"

"You're Tyler's sister, ain't ya?" She nodded, a small smile appearing on her expression. "It's alright, I just came to drop these off," He said, holding up a vase full of wildflowers.

Remmi nodded once more, continuing to write down her diagnosis and how the procedure went. She tried not to listen to Shane speaking to his friend, knowing that it was incredibly rude of her if she did listen in.

"You don't eavesdrop Remmi, it's rude," She heard the small voice in her head say. She shook her head, getting tired of hearing his voice in her mind every day. But then again, she knew she was in the wrong. She always was. That's what Derek told her and Derek was always, always right. Instinctively, she rubbed her upper arm, despite the bruise being long gone.

A loud gunshot brought Remmi out of her thoughts. She looked up towards Shane who was looking towards the door.

"Stay here," He told her. She just nodded and closed the charts, standing up and sitting them next to her. Shane came running back in after that. He grabbed the woman's waist and held them both on the floor. He let out a small 'Shh...' . Remmi presses both of her hands to her mouth, a few tears running down her face.

A sudden burst of energy came into the room, making Remmi jump slightly. It was less than thirty seconds, but to her it felt like thirty years.

"We gotta get out of here," Shane told the woman as he helped her up.

"W-What's happening?" She asked.

Shane shook his head, "I don't know. Where you stayin'?" He asked her.

"With my brother. We live on Fourth Street," She replied.

"Okay," Shane nodded, "We'll just, uh, we'll go get them and then we'll... We'll go get Lori and Carl."

Remmi couldn't nod. She couldn't move. Shane took notice of this and held his hand out. Shaking, Remmi put her hand in his and he dragged them both out of the hospital.

*published

tbh Shane & Remmi would've been OTP but... yeah