26: Defeat that Froze Hope

Allura waited until the targeting symbols on her helmet's view screen  flashed red. Then she folded her legs and activated the sequence that  slowed the jumper down so she could land safely at the base of the mine  shaft. It was dark down here, but enough light filtered down from the  opening above that she could see several tunnels branching out from the  mine shaft. Some were at the base of the shaft and others were higher up  the walls crisscrossed by metal beams that probably served as support  beams and makeshift bridges.

Movement to her right caught her  attention and she turned towards it. A fairly large group of Balmerans  were gathered at the entrance to one of the tunnels. Beyond them was a  pile of rubble and the remains of what appeared to be Galra sentries.

"Are  you alright?" she called making her way over to the Balmerans slowly so  as not to alarm them. "My name is Allura. I'm with the paladins of  Voltron. We need to get you to the surface as quickly as possible."

"You are friends with Hunk?" one of the female Balmerans said, her yellow eyes widening in the darkness. "I am called Shay."

"It's  so good to finally meet you, Shay," Allura said, taking the Balmeran's  large hand in both of her own. "Hunk has told me much about you."

"Any friend of Hunk's is a friend of ours," an old Balmeran said, stepping forward from the group.

Allura  smile gratefully before remembering her purpose for coming. "Please,"  she said urgently. "You must make your way to the surface of the  Balmera. I'm going to perform the energy exchange, but if it doesn't  work then my Castle is waiting to start evacuating as many of you as  possible."

Shay pulled her hand away and turned to her people,  bowing her head. "We cannot go with you," she said sadly. "We have  spoken to the others and have all agreed. The Balmera is our home. We  cannot leave it. If She dies, then we are ready to die with Her."

"No,"  Allura whispered in horror. "No, you mustn't! Please. I understand the  loss of your world. My home planet was also lost. My people, my... There  are only three people left of my race including myself. Upon our deaths,  Alteans will be no more. But we won't stop fighting! You can't give up.  Not when there's a chance left."

"Then it is true," the wizened  Balmeran said, stepping up to Allura. Her eyes were old but sharp and  clear. "You are the princess Hunk spoke of."

"I am," Allura nodded. "Yes."

The  elder gazed down at Allura's feet and smiled gently, humming. "Then  tell our people yourself," she said. "Let your words, your emotions,  carry to our people."

Allura furrowed her brows in confusion. "How?" she asked. "I'm not Balmeran. I can't-"

"But you can," the elder said, gesturing to the ground beneath the princess's feet. "You are."

Allura  looked down and was awestruck by a soft aura emanating from the ground  itself. Perhaps the Balmera sensed she was Altean and was trying to help  her. Tears blurred her eyes. The magnificent creature knew it was dying  was still wished to save those that called it home. Allura knelt and  placed both of her hands on the Balmera and called out with her mind.

:Hear me,: she said. :I  am Princess Allura of Altea and I have come to fulfill an oath made by  my people in my stead. I will do all I can to heal the Balmera. But  should I fail in this endeavor, please come to the surface.:

"They can hear me?" she asked out loud, lifting her gaze to the Balmerans.

The  elder smiled and placed a large hand on the princess's helmet and knelt  so her gnarled knees rested on the ground. "Yes, young one," she said.  "We can hear you."