10: Wintry Silence

When he attacked, Pidge was ready. He dodged the first sweeping strike of the humming purple blade, then the second. The third required a roll to avoid but it gave him to opportunity to throw his bayard blade. Unfortunately for Pidge, the Galra soldier was faster.

The Galra dodged the green blade and tangled the glowing green cord that connected it to the paladin's bayard around his sword. Before Pidge could react, the Galra gripped the cord and swung with all his strength, tossing Pidge to the other side of the catwalk. Pidge landed hard, knocking the wind out of him, and slid across the metal. Thankfully, his back hit the control panel, preventing him from sliding right off the catwalk into the primary turbine resulting in what Pidge knew would be a rather painful death.

Pidge grunted and pushed himself up to all fours just as laughter reached his ears. He turned his head and saw the Galra step on his bayard's green cord and allow the cord still coiled around the purple blade to slide off.

"Nowhere left to run," the Galra said. "Nowhere left to hide."

He lifted his blade and Pidge lifted his bayard handle, ready to block when-

"Indeed? Forgive me, my mind was elsewhere."

What? Pidge blinked, startled by the unexpected voice.

"Commander?" the Galra said, pausing his attack.

"Really? It's rude to ignore your guests, you know."

"Lance!" Pidge cried, sitting up in surprise.

The Galra hesitated, but so did Pidge. Neither of them wanted to make a move, too confused by the voices speaking over the Castle's speakers.

"I suppose so."

That must be this Galra soldier's commander. But why was he talking to Lance? Or rather, why was Lance talking to him?

"It would appear another guest has paid a visit to a mutual friend," the Galra continued. "Perhaps you would like to offer some encouragement to help spur our friend on."

"No. Lance!" Pidge cried, sitting up straight. "Don't do it. Whatever he wants you to do, don't do it. I'm fine. Do you hear me, you stupid alien? I'm fine."

"Encouragement?"

Was it just Pidge's imagination running wild, or did the humor in Lance's voice sound a bit forced?

"I don't know what you mean."

There. Pidge was certain he heard a waver in the prince's voice.

"No? Then let me show you." The Galra's voice was deep and smooth. He sounded perfectly at ease with whatever was happening. What was happening?

"I'd rather not."

The prince's voice was definitely wavering now. Whatever was happening, he wasn't liking it. Pidge didn't either.

"What's going on?" Pidge demanded the Galra in front of him. "What's happening to Lance? Tell me!"

The Galra soldier merely smiled.

"Oh, that wasn't a choice."

The scream that followed sounded anything but human. Pidge wouldn't forget it for as long as he lived.

~~XxX~~

When Keith screamed, it broke Allura's concentration snapping her back to her own body with such force she wobbled on the ledge beneath the bridge. When she recognized the sound for what it was, her heart dropped. Something was happening to Lance and whatever it was, it was powerful enough to affect Keith through their link.