61. In Which Scott Holds On

❝A girl should be two things: who and what she wants

❝A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.❞
-Coco Chanel

✏️SCOTT✏️

As my eyes zoomed around the room, I questioned my next move to get the date rolling. I was moments from screaming, but let the air in my lungs compress as I watched the worst thing happen.

Toni was inside his car.

There was a fire at the base of my shoes when I saw her enter his vehicle. I was antsy, anticipating the worst to transpire inside the car.

"He's in public," Delilah said, patting my shoulder with a soft touch. With Salma in Waco, I needed a partner to stalk outside Toni's date. Worried about the whereabouts of Jaxon, Delilah offered to tag along.

Delilah sighed. "You can't possibly think he'll do anything."

"He almost ran over Jaxon in public. I don't want to pass anything by this insane man."

"This is the second date, right? That's a good sign."

"I'm surpised he was so free this week."

"You think he'll actually drive to his house with her this time?"

"She'll text me if he suggests that."

The headlights of Hector's car flickered, shocking me at first. "What...the..."

"She hasn't messaged you yet," she said like it was meant to be a question, but I let the words remain in the air. Unanswered. She grew impatient, repeating the words. Louder this time.

"I haven't gotten anything." I practically flung my phone at her. "Check."

"Where are they going?"

For fuck sakes, I wish I came alone now. With all these damn questions, I thought I was on a game show.

I jerked the keys, bringing the car to life.

"I have no clue," I snarled, "But—"

The phone on Delilah's lap lit up. From where I was seated, I could make out the face of my sister in the car ahead of us. Pealing out of the parking spot, I started tailing them discretely. "Can you answer that?"

Delilah obligated, swiping the icon on my screen that accepted the call. "Hi."

She had such a soft voice, pillowy to my ears and sending shockwaves through me. I liked her tone. There was so much tension going in and out of the house; it was hard to even pay attention to anyone besides Brenda all semester. I was dumb, thinking about it clearer tonight.

How hadn't I seen how cute Delilah Park was before? Before I kissed Brenda, and before I got tangled up in half-hearted relationship I started with Rita. Delilah had pink lips that she was biting on now, gnawing on them so much that it made me pucker my own lips in response. I was antsy for a different reason now, wondering how she pouted and if I'd want to kiss the frown away.

"I...is she saying anything?" I stuttered, rushing a hand through my small curls. I needed to keep my head focused on what was important. "What is my sister saying to you?"

It wasn't until she hung up that Delilah decided to reply to me. "She's getting dropped off at her apartment again this time. She's not heading to his house. She was talking on and on about how he has to head back to his job."

"Bullshit," I roared, "He's unemployed."

"She was talking to me like I was her roommate, calling me Becky, and stuff. She sounded...a little off though. I know we told her to go with that script, but something...something doesn't seem right with her speech."

"Why didn't you say that first?"

"We're tailing them, though," she squinted into the night, opening her car window and sticking her arm out into the chilly air. "Wait...where the hell did that car of theirs go?"

I snapped my gaze into the road I saw them, where I swore I saw them last.

But they weren't there.

None of the plates before me bore the numbers I was certain belonged to him.

"Give me my phone," I demanded. "I have to call Ziyan."

"Why?"

"I need a gun."

"You think he has access to a gun?"

"He sells drugs and he's probably going to be going on probation. I don't doubt he has linkage to people that own guns."

"I know my friend Clive has a gun."

"He carries a gun, where? Inside his purse?"

She pinched my shoulder and then went up to my cheek, squeezing it, hard.

"Ouch, fucking stop." I cried out.

"You are so homophobic," she blurted, dialing a number into my phone. "Talk to him yourself. I'm done helping you idiots. I don't know why I even agreed to be drag out here."

We were at a stoplight. I was seconds from saying a sorry, wanting to lighten the mood. But my heart skipped into my throat. I could feel its pounding immensely.

The car that had stopped beside us at the light was Hector's. The moment my eyes locked with my sister's, we both seemed to scream with only our face's—frozen in fear that the driver would see me in the other car.

Out of instinct, when I saw Hector's head turn, I reached for Delilah's hand and kissed it. By the time I had my lips on hers, the light had turned from red to green.

And by that point, I had a slap sent my way before I could touch the gas pedal.

+

PLEASE VOTE