49. The Last One Pt. 4

❝Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets

❝Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets.❞
Arthur Miller

Song above:
Without You by The skinny legend
Mariah Carey 👑

Please vote
💔BRENDA💔

Jaxon's location was unknown.

Every person in the house disregarded their duties and focused our collective energy on finding our missing roommate.

"He was supposed to go in at noon that Friday," Scott said, scratching his scalp. "It doesn't add up. I dropped him off and I saw him with my very own eyes go inside."

"You saw the security footage the police released. He didn't stay inside," Salma added.

Due to his age, it took time before the Dallas police department took Jaxon's missing person case seriously. They thought that he was a runaway, fleeing from the surgery itself. But I had my doubts that Jaxon would avoid a path to change his life. He could only gain something from the experience. Why would that make him disappear off the face of the Earth with little no warning?

His family took a stronger approach, arranging search parties in their neighborhood and ours to see if anyone had seen him or knew any information on his whereabouts. We tagged along for search parties, wearing yellow vests and passing out flyers that had Jaxon's face. The search came to a stall when the sheriff released security footage of Jaxon leaving the hospital, standing outside to smoke a cigarette, and sharing it with an unfamiliar second person. There was no clear view on the man's face. After their conversation, Jaxon willingly got into a vehicle that had its plates removed.

"Jaxon wouldn't go into a stranger's car," Scott had concluded when he first saw the video, circulating through news cycle on local channels. "I know my own cousin."

Scott was not accepting the notion that Jaxon was a runaway or hiding with the mystery man in the video footage. "He knew the man," Scott supplied, "He had to have known them. I don't think my cousin would go into someone's car who he didn't trust."

"Well, that's obvious, but who?" Salma asked.

Scott groaned. "That's what we're all asking."

We were seated around the dinner table with the news playing in the background. I was dressed in a pale pink dress with white flower-shaped pieces made from lace sown onto the neckline and along the bottom hem of the dress. My hair was braided into a fishtail, swinging the end out of boredom. Scott hadn't changed yet, but he could get dressed in a matter of seconds, so I didn't mind.

"When was the last time he saw Hector?" Salma inquired. "I reported to the police that I suspected Hector had some kind of involvement in Jaxon's abduction."

"What did they say about that?"

"They said they would look into it, but I haven't heard any kind of progress on the case whenever I asked Jaxon's brother."