44. The One In Which Brenda Sees

❝I kinda felt like the first slice of bread in the bag

Everyone touched me, but no one wanted me.❞

― Kelly Moran

(song above: Comfort Crowd by Conan Gray)

- PLEASE VOTE-

💔BRENDA💔

I wanted a trophy.

It wasn't like I did anything spectacular today. Only in the mystical land called college could someone pay little to no attention, but still feel the urge to congratulate yourself for even waking up and coming to class in the first place.

Ditching wasn't something I made a habit in high school, but in college I learned you could get away with a lot more because no one cared about you. You didn't have anyone scowling you for being absent. Most assignments and PowerPoints from lecture were online, meaning that attending class wasn't that essential. My American Literature course, taught by a more old-fashioned professor, didn't use the online portal that my other instructors used.

When we were dismissed for the day, I practically jumped up from my chair. Today wasn't just any other Wednesday; tonight, Scott and I were going out again.

I lowered my hand to my back pocket, feeling it vibrate. Before looking at the screen, I knew who it would be. The last person I sent a text to was Scott. We were arguing on what to see. Randomly, I sent him the trailer to the Cats movie. Smiling down at the phone, I read his message to me.

Scott went on to talk about how terrified he was of the animated cats, saying that I would have to pay for his therapy if he started to have nightmares

My face hurt from how much I was grinning, staring at the ground under my feet. Sweeping my hair behind my ear, I bit down my bottom lip as a daydream sprouted to mind. I couldn't shake Scott out of my head. When we started driving home, I didn't want it to be the end. We hung out before, obviously, but there was a difference in how we spent time together now. When his arm around my waistline, drawing me closer to his body, I wanted to remain that way for as long as I could.