Part 4

When Finland arrives in the country of Sweden, the personification of the nation is there to greet him.

"T'no..." Sweden mutters, seeing his lover's disheveled state. His eyes are red from crying, and they have deep bags under them from lack of sleep. He's thinner too, considering that he didn't eat much on the trip.

Finland steps off the ship and sways unsteadily, making Sweden each out to steady him. Finland takes this as an invite for a hug and wraps his arms around the larger nation. The Finn begins to cry into the Swede's chest

"I knew it was going to happen one day but I didn't even get to say goodbye properly."

- - -

In 1664, the English overtook New Netherlands due to the colony's lack of proper defenses. A series of agreements was made between the English and Dutch, but they were only observed in New Amsterdam, and widely discarded throughout the rest of the colony. Then, the Second Anglo-Dutch war commenced.

"Aatto, I must leave for war," the Netherlands says to the colony.

"Like Far did?" The physically 5 year-old New Netherland asks.

"Yes, like your Far did. While I'm gone, you'll live with the governor, okay?"

- - -

When the Netherlands didn't return in 1667, but the English did, New Netherlands knew that England had won. Afraid, the young colony ran away, into the forests and traveled south.

- - -

In 1673, when the Netherlands briefly regained control of his old colony, he searched for his pseudo-nephew. By the next year, when the English took control of the colony once more and claimed it as New England, the Netherlands hadn't found Aatto. Assuming he was dead, the Netherlands went back to Europe.

He traveled to Sweden to give Finland and Sweden the news. He sat with the couple as Finland sobbed and he and Sweden allowed tears to fall as well. Together, the three mourned Atto, their son and nephew.

- - -

In the woods of Virginia, Aatto meets a girl like him, a personification.

"My name's Malena. Who might you be?"

"Far, Ïsa, and Uncle Ned called me Aatto but they're gone."

"Then I'll call you Alfred."