Magic Bullet

Rowan was sleeping soundly for the first time since the bite when there was a howl. She shot up in bed in panic and then groaned when she realized.

The stupid fucking alpha.

She was super tempted to just go back to sleep, but never got to decide. The howl had woken up Scott as well and he stumbled in her room and yelled at her to wake up as he pulled a shirt over his head. Rowan stumbled out of bed with all of the coordination of a baby deer and threw a sweatshirt over her t-shirt and shorts and slipped on some shoes.

Scott and Rowan snuck out the front door as quietly as they could, making sure not to wake their mom and ran. Rowan figured they were doing something right when they both went in the same direction, following their instincts. Those instincts led them to a warehouse and, aggravatingly, the hunters. Couldn't they just let the werewolves deal with the supernatural criminal? They were quick to hide from Argent and the woman he was with.

"This guy again." Rowan complained under her breath. She rolled her eyes and turned to Scott.

"Again?" He asked and she realized that she hadn't told him about what had happened at the gas station.

"I'll tell you later." She whispered back and turned her attention to the hunters.

"Chris, there were two of them." The woman said.

"The alpha?" Argent asked.

"I don't know, but one of them tried to kill me." She said.

"Sounds like the alpha." Rowan told Scott who just shushed her.

"One of them is gonna lead us to the other." Argent said. "He can't do that if he's dead."

"Well, I can't help kill either of them if one of them kills me first."

"How long will it take?"

"I give him 48 hours. If that."

Rowan held her breath. It sounded to her like someone was about to die. It had to have been either Derek or the alpha, unless there was another beta out there. The idea didn't seem too far-fetched, he'd bitten her and Scott pretty much on a whim and with the hunters in town, it wouldn't hurt to have another person on his side. Rowan didn't know, but she had 48 hours to figure it out.

Rowan didn't get the chance to contact Derek before he seemed to seek her out on his own. Unfortunately, it was at the high school where he was wandering the halls like a zombie looking for her and Scott.

Could she not have one normal day?

She already met up with Derek every other day after school to learn Werewolf 101, which was not normal. They worked on controlling her super senses. She was super grateful for it since it had been the toughest of the werewolf abilities for her and since they started the number of sensory overloads she had decreased exponentially. (She did wish they'd actually started working on controlling the shift, though, because she didn't want to have to worry about hurting anyone her next full moon.)

And while Derek had been teaching her didn't mean she wanted to see him at school. She rushed down the hall with the goal of preventing a murder when she saw that he was headed toward Jackson.

"Where are Rowan and Scott McCall?" Derek asked. Rowan hurried her pace to a jog.

"Why should I tell you?"

"Because I asked politely and I only do that once."

Rowan skidded to a stop next to them and said, "Hey guys."

She was ignored. "Hmm. Okay, tough guy. You know, how about I help you find Scott and you tell me what you're selling him." Jackson said. Rowan's brows furrowed as she wondered what the hell he was talking about. "What is it? Dianabol? HGH?"