Pack Mentality

Rowan wished she could say that she was woken up by the shining of the sun peeking through her curtains and the sound of the birds chirping. Instead, she shot out of her bed in a cold sweat and full of adrenaline as her alarm clock practically screamed at her, interrupting what might have been one of the worst nightmares of her life. Not that she can remember what it was about.

Then, at school when she was standing by Kayla's locker listening to her talk about the upcoming dance she couldn't concentrate. She was anxious and distracted. It was weird, though. Her anxiety felt disconnected. Like it was coming from outside instead of within.

Scott.

Rowan excused herself from Kayla and all but ran down the hall. The panic was beginning to overwhelm her. She needed to get to Scott.

She found him just in time to see his fist go through a locker door. He was definitely on the brink of shifting. Or, well, Rowan thought he was until he bumped into Allison. All of the anxiety left her body and she wondered if it was actually ever there at all.

Apparently Scott had thought he'd killed Allison.

At lunch, Scott and Stiles were discussing the question of the day. 'Did Scott attack the bus driver?'. Scott told them he'd had a nightmare of the attack, but not all of the details lined up with what actually happened. Unfortunately, the evidence was too convincing to ignore.

"But dreams aren't memories," Stiles said, acting as Scott against the prosecutor, Scott.

"Then it wasn't a dream. Something happened last night and I can't remember what."

"But I had a nightmare last night too. I don't remember what it was, but if it's the same one that you had then something's wrong. I wasn't in your dream." Rowan said.

"That doesn't mean anything. The bus driver wasn't in the dream either, it was Allison." Scott shook his head. "We don't have answers, but I bet Derek does."

Rowan stared at him unblinking. Surely he knew that was a terrible idea. He'd gotten the man arrested for goodness sake. Derek would never help them again. "Scott...maybe you should sit this one out and let me ask."

"Hold on," Stiles interrupted. "What makes you guys think that Derek has all the answers."

"Because!" Scott exclaimed, attracting the attention of a few bystanders. He leaned in and lowered his voice. "Because during the full moon he wasn't changed. He was in total control while I was running around in the middle of the night. So, no, Rowan. I'm going."

"You really need to remember that you're the reason he was thrown in jail, Scott. For all we know he killed his sister and you want to poke the bear?" Rowan said.

"We'll both go, then. I need to be there. Hopefully, with both of us there we can take him." Scott said.

"Doubt it." Stiles muttered.

"Anyway, I can't go out with Allison. I have to cancel." Scott said. Rowan nodded. Stiles, however, disagreed.

"No. You're not canceling, okay. You can't just cancel your entire lives. We'll figure it out."

"Figure what out?" Lydia asked as she sat down, startling the group. Scott and Rowan locked eyes in shock and stuttered out the word 'homework' simultaneously. Thankfully no one questioned it.

Stiles leaned in and asked, "Why is she sitting with us?" Scott shrugged.

"Don't act like you're not over the moon."

It didn't stop with just Lydia, though. People kept sitting at the table until it was full. Rowan found herself between Danny and Stiles.

"Get up." Jackson said to the guy at the end of the table.