Lunatic

Even with the four-day weekend while the school started clean up and repairs, Rowan wasn't prepared for school to start again. She was completely and totally overwhelmed by everything; her mom;s overbearing worry, her brother's heartbreak that Rowan could somehow feel like it was her own, the impending doom that came with the realization that the Alpha could and would kill her if he got the chance.

It was all too much.

So, instead of going out with Scott and Stiles to drown herself in alcohol or even finishing her history paper, Rowan decided to try and calm her frayed nerves. Using the tried and true bath and music combo, Rowan started the water and set up her radio hoping to block out the world for just a little while.

Not even her soft purple loofah could scrub off the pain and fear from that night at the school. Not even her favorite song could block out the sound of her heart beating as she ran for her life. Rowan closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Maybe she could drown the memories instead, she thought as she dipped under the surface of the now lukewarm water.

Monday morning came and Rowan found herself tempted to take her mom up on the offer of another day off. Unfortunately, the need for some normality won out and she prepped for school.

She covered her irritated wound with a cardigan and wondered why it hadn't healed yet. The bite had healed practically overnight, why would this be any different? Rowan didn't know, so instead of ruminating she packed her backpack. She looked in her mirror on her way out of her room and decided that having a normal day meant that she should probably cover the dark circles under her eyes with some concealer.

She could do this. Everything would be fine.

Rowan locked the door behind her as she headed to the car with her mom waiting to take her to school. She hopped in and looked at her mom expectantly.

"Are you sure? I'm sure with your dominant hand out of commission, the school will understand you staying home for a few more days." Melissa tried convincing her.

Rowan shook her head. "It's just a little sore, it's not that serious. I can tough it out."

"You had to get stitches. It'll probably scar." Melissa reminds her. "That's serious."

"I feel fine, Mom." Rowan lied.

"If you're sure." Rowan nodded at her mom and took that as the subject dropped. Her mom sighed and backed out of the driveway. Rowan pulled out her phone and ignored the millions of texts from Kayla to look for any sign from Derek. He had promised to let her know if he learned anything new about the Alpha after she told Derek that he completely disregarded her.

Before she knew it, they had pulled into the school parking lot and it all came rushing back. Memories of that night played in her head like a horror movie. She could see the monster attacking Derek and the terrified faces of Scott and Stiles. She could feel the overwhelming pain in her arm as the monster dug its claws in and the fear for their lives. Her heartbeat raced faster and her breathing got heavier as she ran. She could vaguely hear a muffled voice saying her name. Tears ran down her face as she struggled to catch her breath. Someone fumbled with something at her feet and put something cold and plastic in her hand. Rowan looked down at it.

Her inhaler.

Rowan hadn't used it in weeks, but kept in on her out of habit. She looked to her left and was met with her mother's worried eyes. The dark forest melted away and she was grounded again. She wasn't being chased by a monster, she was in the car with her mom and everything was okay.

Rowan held her inhaler in her mouth with shaky hands, pressed down on the button, and breathed in. The medicine tasted bitter on her sensitive tongue, but it did the trick. She was grounded further and could finally breathe again. Rowan took deep breaths, like Derek had taught her during their meditation sessions, until she steadied.