Rex eyed me with interest. "You're an interesting one alright. I can't seem to figure you out."

"That's the goal," I responded. Rex fell silent and didn't speak again as he puffed on his cigarette. "Why are you with the Black Phoenix?" I finally decided to ask.

He seemed surprised that I had asked. "Got introduced by a friend."

"I asked why, not how." I deadpanned.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "Why should I tell you? You didn't seem too keen on answering me the other day."

"Well maybe I'll answer if you do. Q & A works both ways." There was no way in hell I would tell him, but I could make something up.

Rex eyed me warily before responding. "At the time, my mother was really sick and we needed the money. Trey and I go pretty far back and he met someone in the gang who said we could make some easy cash, so I agreed to join. It's been years now, but you know what they say." He chuckled. "Once you're in, you're in for the long haul."

"How is she now?" I asked with interest.

"The last I heard, she was fine." Rex tossed the cigarette butt down and stepped on it before reaching for another.

"You don't talk to her much?"

"Not since she found out I'm with the Black Phoenix." Rex stared off into the distance, as if contemplating something.

"Does she know why you joined?" I raised an eyebrow.

"You think I'd tell her just so she could blame herself?"

I pursed my lips tightly. "Why did you stay with the Black Phoenix after she got better?"

Rex turned to face me. "Loyalty. We're family. Once you're in, you can't just leave. That's why I'm asking if you've thought this through."

"I've never been more sure." I said quietly. I could sense that he was still staring at me after a moment, so I quickly changed the subject. "Do you reckon you'll ever talk to her again? She can't keep a grudge forever. She is your mother."

"Most likely not." His tone indicated that the discussion was over. "So what's your reason? I know you said drugs, but I just can't see you as a druggie."

"Why, thank you."

"Seriously."

I stared at him and he met my gaze, unwavering. "I'm looking for someone. Someone I haven't seen in very, very long. They're in the gang." I decided this was alright to share. After all, I could let him assume it was a gang member.

Rex looked surprised. "Well you didn't have to join to do that. I could help you find them if you needed."

"Are you upset about me joining as well?" I couldn't deny that I was surprised at his offer.

He laughed. "No, of course not. We could use someone with your fighting skills. I was just - I wanted to make sure you thought this through." Then, he paused. "So if you had connections, why didn't you say so? Why did you need Trey?"

"I'm not sure this person would be too happy to see me joining. They only want the best for me, yenno?" I lied easily. "So I'd like to keep that on the down low for now."

Rex nodded thoughtfully. "I respect that." I glanced at my watch again after a few moments.

"It's three minutes past when we were supposed to meet."

Rex frowned as he tossed his second cigarette away and stepped on it. "Trey isn't usually late."

"You said he was doing business here? This place certainly looks sketchy."